Race Tech of Progressive

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adambweird

Reaction score
Ok folks, I'm stuck with a decision... or lack thereof. I don't know what route to go with the front suspension. I love hitting the twisties but there's not a whole lot of twisties around here in NW Ohio. I tend to have an aggressive riding style as I ride with sportbikes most of the time and do the occasional 2up on the twisties as well. Would it be better to go R.T. or Progressive with Seans preload adjusters?

Starting with the pre-load adjusters - regardless of whether you fit Racetech or Progressive wound springs you will need to set the static sag to get the most benefit from them.
The pre-load adjusters will allow you to fine tune the setting.

As for which spring to go for I suspect opinion will be divided and there are advocates for both camps.
Neither are right or wrong.

Have a read of this which may help?

I suggest that you go with your gut feel and ignore everyone else.

^ that is a good article linked above.
I have the Progressive Springs and I ride a lot of twisties (probably 80% of my riding time) pretty hard (@ 1.5-2x posted turn speeds) and I love them.
They are soft enough on the highway and tighten up quickly when needed in the twisties.
I weigh about 185 lbs., a lot of the heavier guys seem to like the Racetechs (with Gold Valve emulators) better as long as they choose the right Rate for their weight.
Adding Sean's preload adjusters would help with either set if you feel the need to tighten them up even further.

On the highwy I like the soft option of the Progessives too. Hard braking, either will be an improvement over OEM's. One inch prelode is how I set mine up, with 3 1/2" static sag if I recollect. A lttle more preload is my plan for next season. About 1/4" to 3/8" more is my guess. Sean's adjusters would make that easier for sure.
Steve-o

Racetech .05 below what the website says for your weight, gold emulators, 15wt oil. I bought the parts and took my fork tubes to an actual racetech installer near here. The emulators come with two springs (gold and blue). I honestly don't remember which ones I ended up using, but the guy had done a bunch of installs like mine so I followed his recommendations for spacer length and oil.

I have heard stories from riders who changed from Progressive springs to Race Tech springs w/ emulators. I don't recall any who changed to Progressive springs from Race Tech. I've used Race Tech exclusively after reading many threads before deciding. Consider the sources , buy with confidence , the Race Techs will not disappoint.:punk:

I have heard stories from riders who changed from Progressive springs to Race Tech springs w/ emulators. I don't recall any who changed to Progressive springs from Race Tech. I've used Race Tech exclusively after reading many threads before deciding. Consider the sources , buy with confidence , the Race Techs will not disappoint.:punk:
Could you please post links to those "Stories" ???

Most of what I've read about the Race tech springs (on this site) is that they are too stiff for our Bikes unless you order a lower than recommended spring rate and even then the tend to be a bit stiff if you ride a lot of Highway miles.
And I have Never read a post where someone said they weren't happy with the Progressive Springs.

I actually rode a few Vmaxes with Racetech springs and emulators and Progressive springs, Before I decided that I wanted the Progressives.
So I'd advise that you try both before making that decision.

Some of this also has to depend on what you're used to/looking for. I put progressives in my VTX. I liked them just fine for that bike. I had Traxxion cartridges in my FZ1. I liked those for that bike. I like the way the racetechs feel in the Vmax. I read the warnings and purchased accordingly as far as spring rate. I chose racetech because of the design of the spring and the emulator.

In the end, it's your decision. Racetech will give a decidedly sportier ride than the progressives, but that can be changed with oil weight and height a bit. The progressives can be made to feel as stiff as the racetechs, but only by using up more of their travel with a different length spacer. You could probably cut two and set up one for solo and one for 2-up riding, but that's a pain. I will probably end up with Sean's preload adjusters in addition to my current spring so I have that much more range for feel depending on the riding situation. You can always decide to switch anytime, too.

I'm sure I've been no help.

I had Progressives on my first Max and Race Tech on my current Max. Have had Race Tech on one other bike and progressives on many bikes as they have been around for years. If I remember correctly, I got my first Progressive fork springs in the early 80's.

The Race Tech with emulators allow much more adjustment and fine tuning. They have the potential for much better handling also. The main thing is to get the correct spring rate on the Race Tech springs. I started a thread about this earlier as I made the mistake of getting one rate higher (1.0) then recommended (.95) and then lost 37 pounds which made me two rates higher than needed. I have reduced the preload and modded the emulators and used lighter oil but still a little too stiff. Not that bad though, just not perfect. Made the mistake of thinking going one rate heavier would improve handling in aggressive cornering. Should have gone with the Race Tech recommendations. :bang head:

One thing I do not like about the Progressives is the initial dip if you have to use the brakes in a corner. Changes handling at a time you do not want change. This is only a problem if you like aggressive cornering, which I do.

It all depends on what you are looking for. If the best handling is your goal, the Race Tech with emulators is the obvious choice. If improvement at the lowest cost is your goal, the Progressives are the best choice.

Race Tech and be honest about your weight and use the cartridge conversion units also and have a professional like Sean Morely install them. Plus Morley frame braces and Morely Fork Braces and solid engine mounts. Then run those cheap chinese tires in the summer and if you have a winter run dunlops

I think I might go with the race techs. I like to ride aggressive on the twisties and having had nothing but sportbikes before my Max, I kinda miss the stiffer suspension. I've already switched to solid mounts and am trying like hell to get money together for a set of Carrs before Seans out of em. Besides a long trip on the freeway just ain't the same without getting beaten up a bit, lol. Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I kinda like feeling like I've been on the road for hours... kinda makes it seem more worthwhile whhen I reach my destination.

If you get the correct spring rate and set the emulators up correctly, the ride is not too stiff. I live with mine just fine and my rates are about 2 levels too high. (1.0 instead of .90). It rides stiff but if my rates were correct, it would be fine.

Agree with the above but also note my comment about setting the sag.
If not done the ride over sudden bumps and dips is not good, no matter how much you like to feel beaten up.

I ran progessives in my last max. I also don't have twisty roads around here really and I mostly drag raced at the track with mine, so it wasn't a huge concern. But honestly if I wanted more out of it, I would went with racetechs. I have used both progressive and racetechs in other bikes. On the sport bikes, it was racetech all the way, the other bikes I got the progressives already in the bike and I am not one to waste that much money to change them out for something in reality that a daily ridden street bike won't notice that much difference unless you ride balls out 90% of the time on the street. Which I no longer do.

Good luck with your decision.

Back