Race Tech Spacer length

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacticalbacon3

Reaction score
OK, got my new Race Tech springs for my 85 Vmax and they are significantly shorter than my factory springs. I had to make 10" long spacers to make up the difference. Is this normal? I got the S3234-100.

One thing the Race Tech guy (Matthew Wiley) told me was measure the preload from the beginning of the threads in the fork tube, NOT the top of the fork tube. You will add too much preload if measured from the top (about one inch too much). My front was too stiff and I ran into him at the Cycle World Motorcycle Show and asked him some questions about it. The top of the spacer would be about even with the top of the fork tube using his recommendation for normal preload. Now you can use any preload depending on how you want the fork to respond but this was his recommendation. The forks have to be suspended / topped out (no load) when measuring.

Correct. Measured from where the bottom of the top cap will be up 1". Typically this can be 1/4" or so above the tube. A little extra length will increase stiffness.

That is how I measured as well, the second time. First time, little short. I just wanted to make sure the springs I got were the correct length.

Back