race tech suspension issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims-max

Reaction score
I ordered some race tech springs (no emulators) for my 05. I took it to a local shop to have the seals changed and the new springs installed. So now my issue, I started with one inch of preload and 10 weight oil, the compression rate was very stiff and the reaction was to fast and harsh, I loved the stiff ride but it needed to be slowed down a bit (and the mechanic installed the seals wrong and they both leaked) so I took it back and he fixed the seals and installed 20 weight oil. NOW the bike rides as bad as or worse than factory, the stiffness in the spring is completely gone and the reaction is slower than shit. The mechanic said he did not change the preload so the oil should not have changed the compression rate.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem is? At this point I know I want to lighten the oil, but why did the springs get so sloppy? :ummm:

The first time I got it back there was almost no sag, now I would say there is more than a inch.. but without changing the preload?

Supposedly the only thing he changed from first time and the second was the leaking seals and the oil weight. Is it possible that too little oil could make it act this way?

I have the same springs as you and weigh a similar amount and from memory my spacers are much more than 1" long.
You will need to measure the sag first then increase or decrease the length of the spacer.

I have the same springs as you and weigh a similar amount and from memory my spacers are much more than 1" long.
You will need to measure the sag first then increase or decrease the length of the spacer.

the spacers are much longer, the preload measurement is one inch (per race tech instructions) from the top of the shock tube, that is if my mechanic measured it correctly.

That's a handy thread, lots of good info, thanks for the referral. (the VMax yahoo group)

Yes thank you, I think I will disassemble myself and use the info above to double check the measurements.

Double check your oil quantity. Having a wrong amount of oil will completly change the behavior of your fork.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The preload is NOT measured from the top of the fork tube but from where the threads start in the fork tube. If properly done (forks fully extended), the spring would be about level with the top of the fork tube or at most 1/4" above the top of the fork tube. That is the recommended preload. Changes can be made from there if desiring a stiffer or softer fork.

Double check your oil quantity. Having a wrong amount of oil will completly change the behavior of your fork.

Yes, that?s what keeps going through my mind since this all started with the second change of oil viscosity. But I was under the impression that the oil would not change the rate of spring compression, but I think that is where I will start.

Too much oil is going to make it stiff as hell and make you feel like you are going for a rodeo ride lol

When I rebuilt my fork, that was the only possible difference.
Took me some time to do it myself but worth it.

Well I revisited my mechanic with the bike so he could see how it was acting, he said "I did everything right so I guess you will have to call race tech”…… Not what I wanted to hear, but definitely what I expected. So yesterday I tore it all down myself. I found one spring correct with about 5/8 in preload, and the other was about 10 oz low on oil and had the same preload. I added half a inch of preload to both and the proper amount of oil to one,,, fixed…. I guess if you want it done right just do it yourself.

Thanks for all the input guys; I’m glad it was an easy fix!

I would " re-visit " the mechanic and ask for a refund of my hard earned money. I would also bring my largest adjustable pipe wrench for emphasis.

Sounds like he ran-out of fork oil & said, "he will never notice!" The guy should refund you a significant sum of $. Is it a licensed shop, or a guy working out of his home? If it's a shop, make a consumer complaint to the state division which licenses technicians and to the county licensing entity which issues the business license for his shop. In FL they used to be called, "occupational licenses," but a state lawmaker got dunned for an occupational license for his operation, and balked, saying, "why, this isn't a license, it's a business tax!" Then he got a bill passed in the FL Congress which changed to name from "occupational license" to "business tax!" Now, when you get your annual permit to run your business from the county, they issue you a "business tax receipt." Every county in the state had to make new forms. That's a lot of forms for 19 million people, and their businesses.

Make it hard on the guy if he doesn't want to reimburse some of your $. You have to be careful what you do on social media, because some people will actually take you to court for what you write, and in the absence of proof of what you found, the legal decision would probably go against you, sad, but true. Your shortage of oil wasn't discovered by another shop, it was you, and what proof do you have of it? Meanwhile your social media comment is in-print for anyone to see, and in the hands of the lawyers for the plaintiff. :confused2:

Sounds like he ran-out of fork oil & said, "he will never notice!" The guy should refund you a significant sum of $. Is it a licensed shop, or a guy working out of his home? If it's a shop, make a consumer complaint to the state division which licenses technicians and to the county licensing entity which issues the business license for his shop. In FL they used to be called, "occupational licenses," but a state lawmaker got dunned for an occupational license for his operation, and balked, saying, "why, this isn't a license, it's a business tax!" Then he got a bill passed in the FL Congress which changed to name from "occupational license" to "business tax!" Now, when you get your annual permit to run your business from the county, they issue you a "business tax receipt." Every county in the state had to make new forms. That's a lot of forms for 19 million people, and their businesses.

Make it hard on the guy if he doesn't want to reimburse some of your $. You have to be careful what you do on social media, because some people will actually take you to court for what you write, and in the absence of proof of what you found, the legal decision would probably go against you, sad, but true. Your shortage of oil wasn't discovered by another shop, it was you, and what proof do you have of it? Meanwhile your social media comment is in-print for anyone to see, and in the hands of the lawyers for the plaintiff. :confused2:

Yes it was a small shop but a reputable licensed one; around here word of mouth will do WAY more damage than any complaint to the state (I would never slander in writing). I think his problem is he is too busy, and had hired help work on them. I guess my search continues for a good mechanic that cares as much for the bikes he works on as their owners do.:confused2: My old mechanic that built my CB700SC loved performance so much he would get excited to get it on the dyno when finished, that is the kind of mechanic I like, if you love your work; customers will return with their friends and their friends friends. I lost a little money, but he will lose more.

Latest posts

Back