Raced my 94 last night

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
This is the first time I've ever raced a bike but it sure as hell wont be the last cause I had a blast! I was a little disappointed in my times but I'm still new to this, best was a 12 flat at 112 & some change temp was in the lower 70's with a slight headwind. I'm a big guy, I weigh about 290 right now without gear so I'm thinking about 300lbs with jacket & helmet. Bike is a 94 with a little over 10,000 miles with Seans jet kit and a Kerker pipe with the comp baffle, DD clutch mod, Dyna 3000 on advance curve 4, shifting at 9000rpm, launching at about 6000rpm give or take cause I'm new to this it was hard to watch the tach, I have an air shifter so not much to be gained there, Shinko 170 tire out back & Shinko 120 up front, frontend isn't strapped yet but it will be soon. I'm thinking I'm still a little rich (160 jets, stage 7 needles second clip from blunt end with a shim) but gonna take some new plugs with me next time and make a pass & change them out at the end so I can read them after a pass. I know being a bigger guy I'm not gonna make the thing fly but I'm hoping for 11.50's or so. I'm going to change up my diet & exercise routine to try to cut some of this bulk, no need to bench 500lbs anymore, I'll save that dumb shit for the young guys!LOL Any advice is welcome guys and thanks in advance!

Shit, forgot to add my best 60' was 1.90 but that was not my best pass or best mph. best pass was-
60'- 1.9833
330'- 5.1192
ET @594'- 7.2481
1/8'th ET- 7.7273
1/8'th mph- 93.92
1/4 ET- 12.0213
1/4 mph- 112.18

Not bad at all considering your weight! I come in at 240 and my best ever is an 11.39 so pretty comparable..............I did it with straps and they did help

12 seconds in the quarter mile is nothing to be concerned over, that's Pretty Damn Fast... Really... You'd probably run low to mid 11's with a few more passes to your credit... I'm at 190 right now and I'd be happy to hit ANYTHING 12's....:biglaugh: Good Work...

Not bad at all considering your weight! I come in at 240 and my best ever is an 11.39 so pretty comparable..............I did it with straps and they did help

Yea gonna strap it for sure, going to try to get down to 240 myself but it's gonna be hard cause I start feeling like shit around 260 or so but I'm not gettin any younger and it get's harder & harder to cut weight as I get older. I did score an 85 front wheel off ebay and I bought a set of early forks off a member here and plan to do that swap over the winter but I'm also extending it 3" and bracing the swingarm so I'll lose some of that weight savings :bang head: Hoping to reach my 240lb goal next riding season but that's a work in progress.

12 seconds in the quarter mile is nothing to be concerned over, that's Pretty Damn Fast... Really... You'd probably run low to mid 11's with a few more passes to your credit... I'm at 190 right now and I'd be happy to hit ANYTHING 12's....:biglaugh: Good Work...

Thanks Dave, I know there's a ton left in it just off of launch technique but I still think I'm a little off on the tune, I just emailed Sean about some exhaust gaskets so I can pull the Kerker and weld in the bung for the wideband O2 sensor I bought, I'll really be able to dial the carbs in then and I'm not above taking my stuff with me to the track and pulling the carbs and rejetting at the track cause I love doing this kind of stuff but I need a good baseline first. If you can get to the track I highly suggest it, it's damn fun and nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be, it's all about having fun cause that's the reason we ride in the first place right? :punk:

Race on Brother... As long as you're havin fun..... To the Max.:biglaugh:

Its all in the first 60 feet.Get those times down,and you'll be killin it!

!LOL Any advice is welcome guys and thanks in advance![/QUOTE] If u could lose 50lbs.11.50s should be possible. Keep practicing & get on a low carb diet.You'll never lose weight bench pressing.Ya gotta get your heart rate up with some kind of cardio.:banana:

!LOL Any advice is welcome guys and thanks in advance!
If u could lose 50lbs.11.50s should be possible. Keep practicing & get on a low carb diet.You'll never lose weight bench pressing.Ya gotta get your heart rate up with some kind of cardio.:banana:[/QUOTE]

I run 3 miles twice a week but I need to start more cardio than that too, I've lost over 150lbs in about 9 months before (was 370 went down to 220) but I felt like walking death. I've been trying to get my weight routine faster pace and stop worrying about pushing heavy weights but it's still hard on the ego sometimes. I know I can do it, planning on being 40lbs down by the end of August.

Good job on the weight loss, I was over 400lb after I busted up my back, I'm now 105lbs lighter. P90x is working good for me. Not to mention by coach, Bradley, is a fellow Vmax rider.

Only advice I have on the 1/4 mile is strap down the front end and get them 60' times down. If you can get them down to 1.6-1.7 You'll be in the 11's, ad a little weight loss to that and you'll definately be in the 11's nicely.

If u could lose 50lbs.11.50s should be possible. Keep practicing & get on a low carb diet.You'll never lose weight bench pressing.Ya gotta get your heart rate up with some kind of cardio.:banana:

I run 3 miles twice a week but I need to start more cardio than that too, I've lost over 150lbs in about 9 months before (was 370 went down to 220) but I felt like walking death. I've been trying to get my weight routine faster pace and stop worrying about pushing heavy weights but it's still hard on the ego sometimes. I know I can do it, planning on being 40lbs down by the end of August.[/QUOTE] 40lbs in 3 months is pritty suaver dieting.If u take your time & just loose 2lbs a week,your weight should not come back as fast & you'll feal better too.Good luck with your endeavor.:clapping:

This is the first time I've ever raced a bike but it sure as hell wont be the last cause I had a blast! I was a little disappointed in my times but I'm still new to this, best was a 12 flat at 112 & some change temp was in the lower 70's with a slight headwind. I'm a big guy, I weigh about 290 right now without gear so I'm thinking about 300lbs with jacket & helmet. Bike is a 94 with a little over 10,000 miles with Seans jet kit and a Kerker pipe with the comp baffle, DD clutch mod, Dyna 3000 on advance curve 4, shifting at 9000rpm, launching at about 6000rpm give or take cause I'm new to this it was hard to watch the tach, I have an air shifter so not much to be gained there, Shinko 170 tire out back & Shinko 120 up front, frontend isn't strapped yet but it will be soon. I'm thinking I'm still a little rich (160 jets, stage 7 needles second clip from blunt end with a shim) but gonna take some new plugs with me next time and make a pass & change them out at the end so I can read them after a pass. I know being a bigger guy I'm not gonna make the thing fly but I'm hoping for 11.50's or so. I'm going to change up my diet & exercise routine to try to cut some of this bulk, no need to bench 500lbs anymore, I'll save that dumb shit for the young guys!LOL Any advice is welcome guys and thanks in advance!
Alot comes from experience. When i first started out with my 96 it was a 12.3 to 12.5 bike. Lots of seat time and a simple front end strap got it down to 11.6 with no power adding modifications from when i began. I feel ya on the launch rpm, have about 300 to 350 passes under my belt in going on 3 years and i still have no idea what im launching at:rofl_200: Just listen to the exhaust for that "Just right" sound. Keep making passes and keep having fun!

Alot comes from experience. When i first started out with my 96 it was a 12.3 to 12.5 bike. Lots of seat time and a simple front end strap got it down to 11.6 with no power adding modifications from when i began. I feel ya on the launch rpm, have about 300 to 350 passes under my belt in going on 3 years and i still have no idea what im launching at:rofl_200: Just listen to the exhaust for that "Just right" sound. Keep making passes and keep having fun!

After reading the thread about you and your progress Zak (post your fastest 1/4 mile time was the thread I think) it really inspired me! My story was almost the same as yours only I have more shit done to my bike LOL I am considerably heavier though (workin on that now actually) but my 1'st pass was a 12.70 at 107.65mph and my last was a 12.02 at 112.18mph but after some reading and seeing how far you came I have faith that even being a bigger guy I can get this thing into the mid 11's with some practice, carb tuning and a strap on the front. Thanks for replying to my pm too Zak, I do have a few more questions but they will have to wait cause 5:30 comes damn early! Thanks for all the advice guys you all rock! :punk:

If your almost knocking down 11's on a 1.9 60' you'll have them for sure with a better launch... us bigger guys (I am 260 ish) have a much better ability for hooking and keeping the front end planted.

If your almost knocking down 11's on a 1.9 60' you'll have them for sure with a better launch... us bigger guys (I am 260 ish) have a much better ability for hooking and keeping the front end planted.

I know what you mean, I have a 170 Shinko and I did a burnout first pass but after that I'd just clean off the tire and I had absolutely zero traction problems. Now I just gotta grow a pair and learn to launch this thing! :rofl_200: I'll definitely feel more confident next year when I extend it 3" and have it lowered though

I know what you mean, I have a 170 Shinko and I did a burnout first pass but after that I'd just clean off the tire and I had absolutely zero traction problems. Now I just gotta grow a pair and learn to launch this thing! :rofl_200: I'll definitely feel more confident next year when I extend it 3" and have it lowered though

Yea, with just a little practice, I have gotten myself where I can pull off pretty good launches on the street. I typical only have to fight the front end down, I hook up solid pretty consistently. My street launch rpm is about 6000, quick but smooth clutch release - and a quick but smooth twist to WOT just as the motor starts to take the bog.

If you haven't yet, read the Dale Walker launch technique... I loosely follow this and it seems to work pretty well.

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/launching.htm

I hope to get some track time in at some point this year. What was the safety requirements? Helmet, boots, leather jacket and gloves?

Yea, with just a little practice, I have gotten myself where I can pull off pretty good launches on the street. I typical only have to fight the front end down, I hook up solid pretty consistently. My street launch rpm is about 6000, quick but smooth clutch release - and a quick but smooth twist to WOT just as the motor starts to take the bog.

If you haven't yet, read the Dale Walker launch technique... I loosely follow this and it seems to work pretty well.

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/launching.htm

I hope to get some track time in at some point this year. What was the safety requirements? Helmet, boots, leather jacket and gloves?

Helmet they aren't real picky on if your not going 9's or faster, leather jacket or a jacket with armor in it is fine (they let me race with my Joe Rocket Yamaha jacket) some kind of leather or kevlar pants but the tech guy told me to just buy some black jeans! LOL I'd still like to get some nice pants though cause I've been down before and it's no fun! :bang head: Got to have gloves and a tether kill switch, I just talked to Sean and he said you only need a tether if you have a wheelie bar or go over 120mph but I'm going to add one just so I can breeze through tech from now on.

Helmet they aren't real picky on if your not going 9's or faster, leather jacket or a jacket with armor in it is fine (they let me race with my Joe Rocket Yamaha jacket) some kind of leather or kevlar pants but the tech guy told me to just buy some black jeans! LOL I'd still like to get some nice pants though cause I've been down before and it's no fun! :bang head: Got to have gloves and a tether kill switch, I just talked to Sean and he said you only need a tether if you have a wheelie bar or go over 120mph but I'm going to add one just so I can breeze through tech from now on.

I am sure it probably varies from track to track... I've never tech'd a bike through before, just cars, lots and lots of cars. I will have to call ahead and find out about pants and a tether... like Sean said, I think some of that equipment becomes a requirement as you run faster traps/et's.

Latest posts

Back