racetech emulators

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax1125

Reaction score
does anyone know the part# for racetech gold valve emulators for late model maxes?
i bought some on ebay and the part#is fegv s4301 but when i check on racetech site they give the part# fegv s4101.
the guy said they were for his 02' vmax i just keep getting different #'s . maybe the emulators are supercided ?
Chris :ummm:

I had the same problem when I got my emulators. I believe the S4101 is for the early forks. I have the S4301 in my 2004 forks. The size of the S4101 is 33.5/26.1/17.0mm. The S4301 is 36.0/29.2/17.0mm.

Chris, checked at racetech.com and they list [SIZE=-1]FEGV S4101 for '93 - '07 model years. I would give racetech a call to make sure the part number is correct.[/SIZE]

thats what i was coming up with i think the s4301 was listed for the roadstar. i tried calling racetech tonight but was to late.
thanks, Chris

I believe the website is wrong as I have the S4301 in my later forks and the fit and operate properly. :twocents:

yea a call to racetech is in order i really dont want to pull the legs apart and have problems. but the guy did say he got them from racetech directly so more than likely the fit and racetech changed some #'s around.
thanks for the input everyone.
Chris :party:

Apparently they changed the damper rods in 05. Here is a cut and paste from 1 of the lists.

My '05 Vmax has new style damper rods unseen before by most on the lists.
They are completely round and required an impact wrench while springs were
installed to get them off. The homemade bolt tool won't work on these. Not
sure what Yamaha uses but I'd like to find out. I fashioned an 8mm socket
around a cut straight allen wrench and hooked it to my impact wrench to do
the trick.

The real warning is to those who are thinking about RaceTech gold valve
emulators. They don't fit and apparently the RaceTech bubbas haven't picked
up on the difference yet. They'll send you the 93-99 one's and they will be
too big. I'll get more details talking to their reps on Monday to see what
I can do...wait for new ones to be developed, or modify the ones they sent
me. Just a head's up...

i did hear someone in the forum that said the lates had a different damper rod makes sence but racetech dont list it like that if thats the case i'm ok having a 06'.
Chris:confused2:

Is there a way to know if the front springs have been upgraded?
When I bought my bike , there is no valve to inflate the shocks , and the rear has been switched to drag shocks . The valve for the shocks was in a box I got with the bike .:ummm:

well i called racetech today and talked to the tech guy he told me the s4301 emulators will not fit vmax's . the s4101 is the right part# so the one i got on ebay are wrong i guess they will be getting relisted. the guy said they will fit roadstars maybe others. i ordered 0.95 springs, emulators, and oil with a second spacer. hope this will get me done.
Chris

Hmmmm.... Guess the S4301's in my 97 aren't working. Sure handles good though.

just stating what i was quoted by racetech and if you have them in yours and worked with no mods you should call racetech and tell them they do fit and work.
Chris

any info , is there a way to tell if front springs in the forks have already been upgraded?

there was another thread talking about what stock springs look like but a sure way to know is if the forks feel mushy and take a bad nose dive when braking hard. i know racetech springs have a consistent wound coil and progressive is tight on the end then opens in the center i think stock looks like progessive. try sean morley he would most likey know.
Chris :peace out bike:

This is my experience with the race tech emulators. I have 2000 max. The 4101's were too small. My damper rods have an outside diameter of 33mm and an inside diameter of 29mm. The 4101's were about 3mm too small at both measurements. If the emulators are too small, oil will flow around them instead of through them.

So I exchanged them for the 4301's. On the phone they said the 4301's would have a diameters of 33mm and 29mm (what I wanted), however I measured them to be around 36mm and 29mm (what I got). I just received the 4301's yesterday and have not installed them yet because I didn't think they'd fit, but from reading through the other posts it looks like they will. I hope to install them this weekend and I'll let you all know how it goes.

I have not been overly pleased with the race tech employees; however my first impressions were high. With the vmoa membership I received a 25% discount, which brought the price down from $170 to $128. The people at race tech were also very friendly. But this is where things went sour. I had my bike in the base garage, which charges by the hour. Once I had the front end apart I noticed that the emulators were too small, so I called them up to see if there was a quick fix or something. I talked to a tech expert and he confirmed that I was sent the correct parts according to their database. He said he would look into the situation and would call me back right away. After about 45min I called back and found that he went to lunch. Since he was gone I started talking to someone else, but then he got back and he said my parts wouldn't fit,... no duh, so he transferred me to a customer service rep, but she was out to lunch now… long story short and many phone transfers later, the overall customer support was sub standard. However poor the customer support was, my real beef is with whom ever is in charge of the database. I’m sure I’m not the first one to contact them about this issue. If they know there is a problem, it should be corrected. If I can get a general consensus of the right size emulator for late model max’s I would definitely like to get this mess corrected. If we have the knowledge, we owe it to our fellow riders to save them some time, money and frustration.

Last edited:
just thought i would update the emulator issue. i have both sets s4301 and s4101 i tried the s4301 on the damper rod and they were to big they would not sit inside the rod the way they are supposed too. so i tried the s4101 and they fit inside the rod with just a little play they supply a spacer ring to take up the play i installed the ring on the emulator then tried in in the rod and it would not fit with the ring so s4101 no spacer ring.
Chris :th_favorites24:

I have two sets of Vmax forks with emulators (2003 and 1997). I'm not sure what you mean about the emulators sitting inside the rods. The emulators I have are about 36mm across (4301's) and fit on top the damping rod which is also approx 36mm across. The stock spring is also 36mm across. I just measured all these parts as I am rebuilding the 97 forks with new seals, etc and have them apart. Just finished the 2003 forks a month or so ago and they are on my bike now. They have the Race Tech springs and I have not measured them but assume they are the same diameter as stock. None of the info I have ever seen on forums or in Rach Tech instructions show them inside the damping rods. Am I misunderstanding your post?

BTW, the forks are completely different with the emulators and springs. Hardly any dive when braking and a firm, planted feel when cornering. Somewhat stiffer ride though.

Don, what setting do you have on your emulators? Oil? Just curious. Have 15 wt but can't remember emulator setting. I would like to stiffen it up a bit.

Thanks.

Used 15w oil and the stock 2 turns of preload. I am not but 170-175 lbs fully clothed though. The instructions say 2 turns for stock and 4 turns for racing. I would recommend leave the emulators stock and increase the spacer length to get more preload. That would be easier as you can do that without disassembling the forks. Maybe add 1/4 or 1/2 inch at a time and test. Just my opinion....

Good advice. Wouldn't heavier oil work about the same? Remember type of PVC to use? I wanna say schedule 40 but I may be wrong.....

Back