Racetech is DONE!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRX/V-MAX

Reaction score
I Just finished up adding racetech emulators and 1.0 springs, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

For anyone on the fence about doing this mod themselves, It's a piece of cake. There is nothing mysterious or tricky inside those forks. The pieces are simple really.

The only thing that was the least bit tricky, was deciding how much preload (spacer length) to start with.

I started really long, and cut them down twice, 1/2 inch at a time.

The first cut was before I reinstalled the fork legs. I couldn't get the caps screwed back down.

Then after getting it all buttoned back up, I rode about 50 miles over a variety of roads. It was way stiff, jarring over sharp bumps. It was really good on smooth roads though.

I took another 1/2 inch off of the spacers, and rode the same 50 miles. This time it was really good, even over the sharp bumps. Stiffer than stock, but not too harsh. Still like a couch on smooth roads.

Next up, R1 rotors, Brembos and braided lines..............

I am sooooooooooo jealous! :worthy:

That's my next big mod.
And thanks to Dubaya Bush... Looks Like I'll be getting this, frame braces and plus a few other things in May.
I just love Government Money!

:thumbs up:

I am sooooooooooo jealous! :worthy:

That's my next big mod.
And thanks to Dubaya Bush... Looks Like I'll be getting this, frame braces and plus a few other things in May.
I just love Government Money!

:thumbs up:

Also remember to check the torque on your swing arm... I checked mine after 1200 miles and they were loose. A Vmax veteran told me to make sure to check after break in... :thumbs up:

How much did you cut off/How long are the spacers you ended up with?

Also remember to check the torque on your swing arm... I checked mine after 1200 miles and they were loose. A Vmax veteran told me to make sure to check after break in... :thumbs up:

Yup did that.
The first 3 - 8000 mile services, I had Joe @ Boxenstopp do them and he always checked it for me. Now I'm doing my own services and what not, And I check the swing arm nuts too.
I admit I'm a nube... But I'm learning. Thanks to the kewl people in here and in the VMOA.
:eusa_dance:

I bought the Delrin spacers that a guy on Ebay sells. He was great to deal with and will cut them to any length you like. I used his as they were a graphite black color so they matched my theme perfectly. I love them because you can't really tell they are there. I bought 1" ones and cut them down to about 5/8's but now with the new wheel I need them to be about 7/8" so I may replace someday but for now they work!:thumbs up:

I'm confused now...

I thought the spacers went inside the forks to essentially add preload to the springs? Why would it matter what color they were?

Or are we talking about some other spacer?

I'm confused now...

I thought the spacers went inside the forks to essentially add preload to the springs? Why would it matter what color they were?

Or are we talking about some other spacer?

I'm an idiot! A complete idiot!

Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain... :bang head:

I deleted the post...:whistlin:

How much did you cut off/How long are the spacers you ended up with?

I ended up with them being 10" long so that should be 1.5" of preload.

That's about twice what racetech calls "average" but they caution that the range is really .5-1.75 and toatlly subjective.

I'm about 250 fully geared up, and I like my ride to be a bit firm.

I ended up with them being 10" long so that should be 1.5" of preload.

That's about twice what racetech calls "average" but they caution that the range is really .5-1.75 and toatlly subjective.

I'm about 250 fully geared up, and I like my ride to be a bit firm.

I'm just barely heavier than you at 270 geared up and I like my bike a little firm like you, so I think once I get my Racetech's I'll start at 10.5" of spacer. Thanks for the info.

I made a bumble headed move and ordered the wrong progressive fork springs from Python Motorsports and in the process of trying to return them. I meant to get the lowering springs. DOH!
The question I have for you guys is once I lower the front end (either 1" or 2", not sure yet) will I want to go with shorter (12" or 12.5") rear shocks?
I am looking at the Progrssive 440 HD since I weigh over 250lbs atm (I am still losing weight and my goal is to get to 220 lbs. by June)

I made a bumble headed move and ordered the wrong progressive fork springs from Python Motorsports and in the process of trying to return them. I meant to get the lowering springs. DOH!
The question I have for you guys is once I lower the front end (either 1" or 2", not sure yet) will I want to go with shorter (12" or 12.5") rear shocks?
I am looking at the Progrssive 440 HD since I weigh over 250lbs atm (I am still losing weight and my goal is to get to 220 lbs. by June)

It should be a 1 for 1 drop... For every inch up front should be an inch in back... Dropping the front a little more than the back is preferred to get a little bit quicker steering. But 2 in front and 1" in back is fine. Personally I like a quicker steering bike. I would like to go to 12" rears but money will dictate. My 11.5's will do for now. :thumbs up:

You just needed to order the lowering springs! I think the main springs are the same and you just cut the pre-load spacers shorter to compensate...

Thanks for the response Chris, a few more questions after checking out the Yamaha manual last night. Looking at the exploded view of the front fork, there is a part called the "collar". Is that in essence a spacer? If so do you use it with the replacement springs? Or can you cut it down or use a PVC spacer to acheive lowering of the fork?
I didn't see anywhere I could order just the preload springs on the progressive site. I'm still waiting to hear back from Tom @ Python Motorsports so in the meantime I have been exploring different solutions.

Check the included picture.

You want part 23...it's labeled as spacer on the fiche. The Racetech spacer (or PVC you provide) replaces this piece.

Mark

Attachments

• 1992 forks.gif
    1992 forks.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 54
Yes, Yamaha calls it a collar in the manual.

I don't know about progressive springs, but the racetech springs for my '90 model are shorter than the stock ones, so you can't reuse the factory spacer.

Racetech includes a piece of aluminum tube, but it's not enough to make two spacers. I asked them about this, and they said the springs work with several bikes, so they include a tube to fit most. That kinda sucked IMO.

I couldn't use PVC in my small diamter forks. The SCH40 1" was a bit too large, and the 3/4 was too small. I ended up finding a piece of scrap aluminum tubing at a friends metal supply business that was perfectly sized.

Neal,

Got my Race Tech springs and emulators in today. Going to work on them this week may be calling if I have any questions.

Doug

Good deal Doug!

You still have my cell #?

If not, i'll pm ya.

I'll be out of town all weekend taking some scouts to possum kingdom, and I don't know how the cell reception will be.

Hey there everyone! Okay so I just installed Racetech 1.0 springs on my 06 Max. The first thing I noticed was that the new Racetech springs are about 3 inches shorter than the stock springs. ( But a heaver wire ) So then I cut the 22 inch aluminum spacer tube in half to 11 inches each. Which from early posts on here, makes it sound like this would be to stiff. But for some reason the forks still seem a bit spongy. Does this sound right? Thanks

Doug D

Did you install emulators too? I'm not sure about springs w/o emulators so can't comments. What weight of oil are you using?

Back