Radials on stock 15 inch rear wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wouldn't the 160/60 give like a ~10% revolution difference?

Yep, wheel/tire height would be approx. 22.5 inches. A 160/70 would've been better.

so accel will be quicker but highway speeds will suck

Yes but this would be a good opportunity to get Morley's Venture rear end.

i have a spare wheel. maybe i could be convinced to...

looks like the michelin has a 170/80 rear..

OK, just verified the Commander Michelins are bias ply according to the Michelin website:
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=commander

The Bridgestone IS a radial and came out this last year on the Yamaha Tmax (scooter). It's wet weight is 480lbs so far lighter then our bikes. Here's the tires specs:
http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/battlax/th01.html

The load index is 67 which equates to about 677 lbs.

The stock Vmax Bridgestone tire has a load index of 74 which is 827lbs (150lbs more).

Not being a tire engineer I am not sure what effect this will have. Probably with one up would equal a similar load on the tire as if you had 2 people on the stock tire. With two up it will probably overload the tire and cause extra heat build up and earlier tire wear. If you know the weight bias of the Vmax we can calculate the effects but as noted I think one up riding you would be fine (and at the tires rated limit) but two up riding will more then likely exceed the tires limit (though I am not sure what it would do).

Sean

OK, just verified the Commander Michelins are bias ply according to the Michelin website:
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=commander

The Bridgestone IS a radial and came out this last year on the Yamaha Tmax (scooter). It's wet weight is 480lbs so far lighter then our bikes. Here's the tires specs:
http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/battlax/th01.html

The load index is 67 which equates to about 677 lbs.

The stock Vmax Bridgestone tire has a load index of 74 which is 827lbs (150lbs more).

Not being a tire engineer I am not sure what effect this will have. Probably with one up would equal a similar load on the tire as if you had 2 people on the stock tire. With two up it will probably overload the tire and cause extra heat build up and earlier tire wear. If you know the weight bias of the Vmax we can calculate the effects but as noted I think one up riding you would be fine (and at the tires rated limit) but two up riding will more then likely exceed the tires limit (though I am not sure what it would do).

Sean
I'm no tire engineer either, but i stayed at a Motel 6 once and my thought is, us fat guys will have excessively fast wear and possible unstable handling. But we should ask the pros

Anybody tried this tire yet? I would give it a shot but I ride a lot of 2-up touring so it isn't a good idea. Why does it take a scooter to get a 15" radial introduced? If any manufacturer started to make a 15" radial it would seem there would be a lot of followers, and not just the Max crowd. Doesn't make sense to me...

Does anybody have any experience using this radials on the stock rear rim yet? Spring time i'm going to be getting new tires and would love to get some radials on the stock rims if there is positive feedback from anyone.

cheapest way is a kosman rear and radials on the stock front.

I think the speed rating would be no where near what the V-max would need. hate to be going along at a clip and have the tire fall apart :surprise:

Keep in mind that all speed ratings are done at 1 hour continuous speed. Most tires will never have a problem with that. The problem lies in if the tires have enough structural to support the weight which is listed on the tires.

Sean

Keep in mind that all speed ratings are done at 1 hour continuous speed. Most tires will never have a problem with that. The problem lies in if the tires have enough structural to support the weight which is listed on the tires.

Sean

Hah. Speaking of that I wonder what the rpms would be at say 100mph with a 15" radial tire. That may be your limiting factor.

Get the overdrive and problem solved lol! The stock gearing will have the engine humming but it will survive the run with no problems. Probably even get better fuel mileage. We've done probably every bit of that ourselves (though not a solid mph - some areas were far higher lol).

Sean

Is the newer venture final drive (say an '05) with the electronic speed sensor a direct swap other than having to drill and tap for the shock stud? Anyone know of a block off plate that fits the speed sensor hole?

Is the newer venture final drive (say an '05) with the electronic speed sensor a direct swap other than having to drill and tap for the shock stud? Anyone know of a block off plate that fits the speed sensor hole?
I am sure I could make a block off plate real easy. I have one on them diffs laying out in the garage.

subtitle_battlax_22.gif

size 160/60R15M/C
speed rated 130 mph Load rating 677 lbs

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/th01.html

Latest posts

Back