Rafik Kaissi - Check out the motorcycles this guy builds out of junk parts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The King of Steampunk! Interesting re-purposing of cast-off parts. Wonder how they ride?

The King of Steampunk! Interesting re-purposing of cast-off parts. Wonder how they ride?

I love this customizing and OTB thinking, in a sea of generic customs and chops built around the SS twin it's great to see customs that actually go a step further. My guess is they ride like novelty items but would be absolutely bitchen' to have on a pedestal in your BBQ/rib/tavern joint.

:thumbs up:

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Perhaps not strong on practicality, but like any designer, why let that get in the way of a fabulous design concept?

OK, sure there are many designers who are putting practicality commeasurate with innovative design. One I can think of is Raymond Lowey, about-whom I've posted before. Anyone who designs locomotives, trains, and soft drink bottles recognized at a glance the world-over, my hat's off to him (or her). And I didn't even mention the 'other American plastic sportscar of the 1960's' (ok, it seated four, but even the Corvette at the same time was never factory-supercharged. You know to-what vehicle I'm referring, yes?).

Architects are well-known for being 'daring and innovative,' whie the actual execution of their design cannot afford a level of practicality enjoyed by more-mundane designs. Frank Lloyd Wright was famous, or notorious, for this. Breathtaking design, but, 'the roof leaked.' Hard to live-with. 'Supermodels' are mentioned frequently in a similar context. They look great on your arm, but are you gonna be together still in two years? Date the blonde eye-candy, marry the brunette.

I like the bike designer's repurposing of reciprocating parts in static structural ways. It's the functional level of the design that has me concerned. No, I'm not a structural engineer, but I wouldn't want to press too-hard on one of these, even to the same level as I would on a 32 year old motorcycle design we all know and revere.

I love this customizing and OTB thinking, in a sea of generic customs and chops built around the SS twin it's great to see customs that actually go a step further. My guess is they ride like novelty items but would be absolutely bitchen' to have on a pedestal in your BBQ/rib/tavern joint.

:thumbs up:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 13
Yes, that's what I was thinking. Perhaps not strong on practicality, but like any designer, why let that get in the way of a fabulous design concept?

OK, sure there are many designers who are putting practicality commeasurate with innovative design. One I can think of is Raymond Lowey, about-whom I've posted before. Anyone who designs locomotives, trains, and soft drink bottles recognized at a glance the world-over, my hat's off to him (or her). And I didn't even mention the 'other American plastic sportscar of the 1960's' (ok, it seated four, but even the Corvette at the same time was never factory-supercharged. You know to-what vehicle I'm referring, yes?).

Architects are well-known for being 'daring and innovative,' whie the actual execution of their design cannot afford a level of practicality enjoyed by more-mundane designs. Frank Lloyd Wright was famous, or notorious, for this. Breathtaking design, but, 'the roof leaked.' Hard to live-with. 'Supermodels' are mentioned frequently in a similar context. They look great on your arm, but are you gonna be together still in two years? Date the blonde eye-candy, marry the brunette.

I like the bike designer's repurposing of reciprocating parts in static structural ways. It's the functional level of the design that has me concerned. No, I'm not a structural engineer, but I wouldn't want to press too-hard on one of these, even to the same level as I would on a 32 year old motorcycle design we all know and revere.

When you said supercharged the Golden Hawk jumped to mind but I believe thats more medal than an Olympic free weight set, two Luminas and an Accord. I'm only thinking of the production vette' killers I was aware of. De Tomaso Pantera or the predecessor to the GT, The GT40. I'm not sure what forced induction options these came with but I dont recall any, besides all 2 seaters like a Shelby.

I'm trying not to cheat and google, 4 seat, plastic, 60s American, supercharged. I know my pre-coffee ramblings did not nail it. Not Corvair, there were a few factory turbo but pretty damn far from a sports car. I'm assuming a production car, not steel bodied. AMX was steel I think, and NA. I'm drawing a blank.

The repurposing of moving parts is slick as structural members but I'm definitely a function over form guy. I dont think I have done any aesthetic mods on my max other than repaint, in fact my highway pegs are fairly ugly but work amazingly well. I feel like an exercise in design and/or art can afford the luxury of Form over function, but on vehicles with a stated purpose it falls short. We all know which motorcycle brands place a little to much form and fall short in function whereas others function brilliantly with no bling, sexy lines excluded of course. Had I to buy a new bike right now I think it would be a GT1600, IMHO the pinnacle of functionality, just as many of the automotive offerings from the same manufacturer. Nailing functionality and form together is what moves me. One that is not pretty but I have long admired the design and function of, the air cooled VW bug.

Imma need a hint on the plastic sports car.

Well Lowey also designed it. Not a Big 3 product. It was a 'last gasp' product which was actually built by a transportation company older than any of the Big 3. This company built horse-drawn wagons that helped settle the Midwest and West.

You were warm when you mentioned the Golden Hawk. My opinion is that car (the GH) had the most beautiful dashboard of any contemporary car. White-on-black Stewart Warner gauges, & a lot of them. A guy from my MI hometown with whom I went to college in MI had a Golden Hawk, a gorgeous car. The 'R-3' option the supercharged engine was called. A record-setting car on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

You mentioned the Corvair, I had a Spyder (145 cu inch 150 hp turbo) only available w/4 speed, all were convertibles. It would run w/a BMW 1500/1600 sport coupes which was the car that pushed BMW into market prominence and soon followed by the BMW 2002tii as a European sport coupes everyone wanted. The Corvair w/a transverse spring on the rear swing axles to eliminate 'tuck-under' in cornering was much maligned by Ralph Nader but VW continued to use the exact same rear transaxle design after Corvair left the market. John Fitch and Don Yenko both molded Corvair successfully and are now worth big bucks in the auction market. Check out Fitch's Phoenix he built as a prototype of what a Corvair based car could be. Road & Track did an article on it 4 years ago.

You mentioned the Corvair, I had a Spyder (145 cu inch 150 hp turbo) only available w/4 speed, all were convertibles. It would run w/a BMW 1500/1600 sport coupes which was the car that pushed BMW into market prominence and soon followed by the BMW 2002tii as a European sport coupes everyone wanted. The Corvair w/a transverse spring on the rear swing axles to eliminate 'tuck-under' in cornering was much maligned by Ralph Nader but VW continued to use the exact same rear transaxle design after Corvair left the market. John Fitch and Don Yenko both molded Corvair successfully and are now worth big bucks in the auction market. Check out Fitch's Phoenix he built as a prototype of what a Corvair based car could be. Road & Track did an article on it 4 years ago.

I remember it was one of the first, if not the first to bring 4 wheel independent suspension to production. I am quite partial to opposed engines, and rear or mid engines. + air cooled "cool" factor It's a pretty darn good looking car too. While I have never had a Corvair car I had a 62 Greenbriar van (that would almost never start w/o a push, and a ramp side Corvair truck. I would have traded them all for a ragtop. I think it was Nader that called the Corvair unsafe at any speed. Really bad rap and IIRC that pretty much was the nail in the coffin for a unique auto that I believe had plenty of potential to evolve.

Ever see the Greenbrier amphibious truck made by a couple of GM engineers? Pretty-cool. There's very entertaining video on youtube of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 6
Greenbriers were fashioned after the VW Microbus, rear engine air cooled Corvair. I had a couple Corvairs back in the day. The 1965 Corsa Spyder I had would run pretty good against 289 Mustangs. If memory serves, the turbo motor put out 180 hp.

The "bearing" bike has a cr500 engine in it. Problem is, his exhaust sucks. Probably has plenty of low end grunt, but that's all. Missing out on about 50% of what that engine is capable without a proper pipe. Definitely form over function.
I love 2 strokes.

The "bearing" bike has a cr500 engine in it. Problem is, his exhaust sucks. Probably has plenty of low end grunt, but that's all. Missing out on about 50% of what that engine is capable without a proper pipe. Definitely form over function.
I love 2 strokes.

A properly piped and jetted CR500 is absurd. Bad exhaust design can cripple a 2-stroke more than one would think.

Latest posts

Back