Raked Out Forks On A VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild8900

Reaction score
Has anyone here seen or own a VMAX with raked out forks?
Hows it look and how was the handling?

Had one brought out to 39 degrees, all work done one the head, cut and rewelded. Handled fine

Do it the 1970's way, slugs threaded onto the downtubes. The FL Motor Vehicle Code used to have a specific prohibition against them. You saw some dangerous rides back then using them, and the results of a hard landing sometimes caused them to fail catastrophically and spectacularly!

Talk about a death wish, my roommate in college in MI had one of the most-evil handling (by reputation) bikes ever-built, a Kawasaki 500 triple. The "Blue Streak" had just been released, and he bought one, and immediately added the front downtube slugs. Hey, it was the year of Easy Rider, after-all. He had those slugs in the front end, and it looked about 6" over, maybe more. The frame members below the engine which should have been parallel to the road, looked like about a 30* angle upwards from back-to-front. He couldn't use much throttle in the lower gears, because the front end would immediately part-company w/the pavement. He would have to let-off the throttle, and when it landed, you could see the concave flex in the top line of the downtubes as the front wheel hit the pavement. Scarey stuff.

My favorite vehicle on campus was my friend Jon Hammond who had a Lotus Seven, which I got a few rides in. He said he enjoyed baiting Corvettes because once you go to a curved stretch of road, there was nothing that could stay w/him. The acceleration was OK since the car probably weighed not much more than a Gold Wing. It had a Ford 4 cyl that wasn't far-off from a Formula Ford. He also had a Pantera and a Ferrari 250 SWB that he occasionally brought to campus, but my favorite was the Lotus Seven. You could lean out of the cockpit and touch the road.

I appreciate the input!

Yeah I was thinking 39 would look good. Standard angle looks too squashed in.

Check out the MADMAX site , he has some pics , at the time he did my chain drive he wouldn't do it with out raking the front too , Said all that extra torque It needed to be done for racing . I ran a 11.18 with a stock motored chain drive bike

I have a +6 degree frame around here that's candy coated red and ready to go. Handled just fine but not super radical either. Originall built for this bike but swapped back out to the original frame since it was such a low number 1985 (in the 150's).

Sean

Attachments

• DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 2012-08-09_17-34-28_289.jpg
    2012-08-09_17-34-28_289.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 125
Here's another couple of pics from when the frame was first done some years back for my personal bike (2-Face 1)

Attachments

• P1013439.jpg
    P1013439.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 101
  • P1013651.jpg
    P1013651.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 118
That last one looks like a 'Frisco Flyer,' from the 1960's. I like the proportions.

The other side of that same bike. I have the body set in the sale section actually.

Attachments

• P1013650.jpg
    P1013650.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 76
Here's another couple of pics from when the frame was first done some years back for my personal bike (2-Face 1)

That's at 39 degrees right? That's perfect. Having trouble finding a chop shop here in Cincinnati. I think there's a Harley custom shop place a bit out, thinking of seeing if they'd do this.

I've got a 86 frame raked that I'm not using if your interested

I don't know what OEM rake is (been awhile since I looked it up). This is +6 degrees to that. I also have a +10 degree raked frame. Both are sitting here ready to go.

Rick, how far out is yours? 6 degrees wasn't as much visual as I wanted but rode great. The 10 degree is more visual impact but starts to get more straight line friendly and less corners.

Sean

Looks like Venture engine side covers and valve covers, or is it a Venture-based power-plant?

Venture 1300 block, crank, pistons. Vmax heads/cams. Same basic combo we use on our 1300 conversions. He used thicker head gaskets though to get some compression reduced. When we tore the engine down to make it ready for a natural aspirated again it was in great shape (ended up in a 2006 vmax).

Sean

Venture 1300 block, crank, pistons. Vmax heads/cams. Same basic combo we use on our 1300 conversions. He used thicker head gaskets though to get some compression reduced. When we tore the engine down to make it ready for a natural aspirated again it was in great shape (ended up in a 2006 vmax).

Sean

Why did he pull the pin on the turbo set-up?

Back