Rattling Noise on Left Side

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukemax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my bike is in netural and idling I hear a rattling noise on the left side, once I pull the clutch in it goes away. I know the engine isn't real quiet to begin with. Any ideas on what to check ? My starter is going bad and have to tap on it every once in a while (getting ready to replace it), I know that has nothing to with it (I think).

Thanks

Attachments

• 20221022_135636.mp4
    31.2 MB
You could consider replacing the pressure plate bearing. That may help reduce some noise when in neutral with light loading of it.

The noise come from clutch basket and it's normal. When I buy my bike it has 2200km, now it has 9300km. The noise has been there all the time and my local Yamaha dealer tell me it is normal.

Last edited:
I asked my friend about just this thing on my Vmax. He listened to it & said exactly the same thing as Kingmel, it's the clutch basket & most bikes make that sound or similar. I trust him on this. He's been a biker & mechanic for 40+ yrs. It going away when you pull in the clutch I'd say is pretty indicative but even so, in your case, I'd get a second opinion from someone listening in person just for peace of mind.

I asked my friend about just this thing on my Vmax. He listened to it & said exactly the same thing as Kingmel, it's the clutch basket & most bikes make that sound or similar. I trust him on this. He's been a biker & mechanic for 40+ yrs. It going away when you pull in the clutch I'd say is pretty indicative but even so, in your case, I'd get a second opinion from someone listening in person just for peace of mind.
Dry clutches have a more prominent rattle from their clutch basket. Ducatis are known for this.

Latest posts

Back