Re-installing shaft

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greimers

Reaction score
I removed my hub and drive shaft to check for oil leaks. Now when I try to re-install it, I can't get it into the u-joint that has fallen down and to the side.

Is there a trick for re-installing the drive shaft without taking much more apart?

Sometimes they can be a pain, but you should be able to catch the joint with the shaft, lift and twist slightly until they spline together, lubricating the shaft end with a little grease will help too, be patient, you could also put the trans in gear to prevent the joint from spinning while aligning, good luck!.......................Tom.

Pull back the rubber boot and turn the UJ until it drops down.
Remove the shocks so that the swinging arm drops down as far as it will go.

Sit on the ground behind the S/A and staring with the final drive in your lap insert the driveshaft into the S/A and 'feel' for the U/J.
If your guardian angel is paying attention you will feel the end of the U/J and the shaft will slide in.

Otherwise a little bit of jiggling up and down and rotating usually does the trick.

Before bolting everything up rotate the wheel to ensure you have engaged with the U/J splines.

If you have an assistant then then can help guide the shaft in.

You're asking about one of the sometimes-frustrating repair reassembly issues. Those guys gave good advice. Try their suggestions and you will eventually be successful. Sooner rather than later, though I've had a 'later' episode myself. I finally stepped-away for awhile, and when I came back, my first attempt was successful. Do not get discouraged or frustrated, if you do, take a break.

I should have added that to ensure a smooth, pain free penetration good lubrication is essential.............

After wandering the garage looking for ideas I found the perfect tool - a wiener roasting sick. It was the perfect length and I used it to hold up the u/j while I slid in my well lubricated shaft.
57a1b8e276523673139569e49ec265ba.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

"Get forked." In this case, the 'right thing to do.'

I was going to try some bailing wire if I needed to last time I did this, but it went together quickly, so I didn't have to.

Back