Ready for reassembly.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is a purdy bike , these 1st gens are special bikes.

Throw the seat on it so we can see how if looks w/the exactrep sidecover.

I spy a SuperBee!

Guilty as charged! It was a toss up between a Superbee and Mighty-Mouse... but I always associated Mighty-Mouse with small block chevys... which is strange that I don't automatically associated the Superbee logo with Mopars. But I digress...

I always found Corbin seats very comfortable and I actually really like they way they look on grey, black, or dark carbon fiber Gen1 Vmax, so I mounted the Corbin that came with her back on the bike. I took 3 or 4 steps back to view my purdy bike and... YUCK! I don't know if it's the color or the fact I put the exactrap side covers on both sides, but holly hell the corbin looked ugly on her.

So I put the stock seat on and am very happy with her looks. Now I gotta swap out the front tire and fender and wait for warmer weather!

Meh, I don't care for the exactrep sidecovers below the seat.

Maybe they need a Yamaha black/white/yellow dashed stripe, like King Kenny's flat tracker on the bottom curved part? Some graphic that starts out wide at the front and which has the dash segments taper to a point at the other end? I dunno.

I actually like the embossed 'YAMAHA' 1985 side plates the best, and in the original aluminum mill finish, instead of any paint on the side cover, or in the name embossment.

I once bought a set of side plates off someone, it may have been on-here, who had a <3" hand-painted graphic of what appeared to be a dragonfly in one corner of the side cover. I've never used the side covers, but to my aesthetics, it's a tasteful original art work addition.

Of the exactrep side cover style choices, I think the vented ones look pretty-good, if you're looking for a change, or maybe the actual carbon fibre ones, which are the same style as the OEM just a different material.

http://exactrep.com/acatalog/--Vent-type-side-panels--Pair---1200--10.html#SID=15
1674587237309.png

http://exactrep.com/acatalog/Carbon-Fibre-Side-Panels--pair--260_B.html#SID=15
1674587210333.png

The OEM seat does look good on the bike of yours. Yamaha mixed it up over the years, slight color variations on the naugahyde. I'm currently using a Corbin seat myself, and I have one for recovering that I'll be dropping off soon for that. I like the Corbin. It's comfy to me. When I bought my '92 from the Ft. Lauderdale dealer, I tried a Corbin at the time, but didn't like it more-than the OEM seat for comfort/price, but later I found a good deal on one, and that's what's there to this day.

Last edited:
It hasn't rained or snowed for a few days so the streets are dry, and the temps were in the mid 40's so I took her out for a trial run.

WOW!!! I'm in love! I can't wait for the spring and some real time in the saddle.

Model pic from today. I took my chromed scoops (the chrome was a little stained in spots) and scuffed then up with scotch Brite and then a scotch Brite disk. Not sure which ones I like more.

IMG_20230129_153248278_HDR.jpg

It hasn't rained or snowed for a few days so the streets are dry, and the temps were in the mid 40's so I took her out for a trial run.

WOW!!! I'm in love! I can't wait for the spring and some real time in the saddle.

Model pic from today. I took my chromed scoops (the chrome was a little stained in spots) and scuffed then up with scotch Brite and then a scotch Brite disk. Not sure which ones I like more.

View attachment 87579
So Clean. Well Done.

Latest posts

Back