Rear axle threads showing..?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I'm buying a pitbull restraint system and pitbull want's me to send my rear axle to them to custom make the pins needed to hold the bike axle. They want me to thread the nut on where it normally sits.. No problem. My problem is I have two Vmax's and I would like both bikes to fit the same restraint system. My custom bike has about 1/8" of threads showing with a custom wheel. (cotter pin nut) but the stock bike is flush with the end of the axle. Narrower wheel on the custom, longer axle?. not sure..

My question is.. Cant you adjust how many threads are showing past the nut by adjusting the axle in the pinch bolt area a bit? It been a while since I had the rear wheel off, but cant the axle be shifted left and right 1/8" or so just by loosening the pinch nut and moving it a bit?

Thanks

I'm buying a pitbull restraint system and pitbull want's me to send my rear axle to them to custom make the pins needed to hold the bike axle. They want me to thread the nut on where it normally sits.. No problem. My problem is I have two Vmax's and I would like both bikes to fit the same restraint system. My custom bike has about 1/8" of threads showing with a custom wheel. (cotter pin nut) but the stock bike is flush with the end of the axle. Narrower wheel on the custom, longer axle?. not sure..

My question is.. Cant you adjust how many threads are showing past the nut by adjusting the axle in the pinch bolt area a bit? It been a while since I had the rear wheel off, but cant the axle be shifted left and right 1/8" or so just by loosening the pinch nut and moving it a bit?

Thanks

Early year axles are longer than newer. Cant remember when they changed but the differential changed as well. Newer are not as wide.

Dale

No.

The right side has a sholder that needs to sandwich the washer, brake bracket, and bearing spacer against the bearing to properly preload it. If you pull the axle out the right side the wheel would be loose. If you have the room, (doubtful) you may be able to add a shim on the outside ( right when looking from behind bike) of the brake bracket. Typically, there is not much room between the existing washer and the swingarm though.

Id try scoring a older axle for the newer bike. Its longer and should stick out past the nut a bit more. You may need an added washer under the nut to make sure the threads dont bottom before the nut is torqued properly.

Thanks.
I figured out my stock bike's axle wasn't torqued properly. When I got out my new torque wrench and torqued the new replacement locking nut I just received from Sean to 50 foot pounds, it pulled the axle through the pinch area until the shoulder was on the washer like you said it should be. I ended up with .38" of threads showing and now understand why you cant adjust the length. Unless you were to install a washer with the same outside diameter of the shouldered area.

I think I was running around with maybe 10 lbs on the cotter pin nut until today.. :biglaugh:

The change is because they went from a castle nut with cotter pin to a locking nut. Needed longer axle with the castle nut/cotter pin.

Actually, the change was more due to the differential housing width. They changed it when the Royal Stars came out. They used the castings for both and machined the hole for the speedo pickup for the RS's.

Sean

Back