rear back rest delete

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travolous

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a backrest delete piece available? I was hoping somebody has had to machine some over the years. I wanted to be able to throw this piece in when I wasn't needing to accomadate an extra rider.

Also, can anybody tell me what all I'm missing to put a rear seat and center section on the bike? I have the centersection but there was no hardware attached to it when I picked it up. I don't have the rear seat and my bike came with a corbin when purchased.

Attachments

• vmax sissy bar.jpg
    vmax sissy bar.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 63
You need an OEM grabrail. You could get a virago low rise section (comes chromed and sits up about 4-5" high). I might consider trading a grabrail for your 2 side sections if you are missing the backrest riser.

Sean

You need an OEM grabrail. You could get a virago low rise section (comes chromed and sits up about 4-5" high). I might consider trading a grabrail for your 2 side sections if you are missing the backrest riser.

Sean

Virago low rise section? Is that for the passenger to rest on which would eliminate my need to swap in and out the backrest? Just trying to clarify :)

I have the backrest I just took it out last night, Is that the same thing as the backrest riser?

If you have the missing part from the photo then you have everything you need for the OEM optional backrest. The Virago riser was only available for a few years on 750 Virago's and comes chromed.

Go to our website and the picture of me on the front in the big burnout shows the virago bar installed.

http://www.morleysmuscle.com/

Sean

I like that! Sorry for the confusion, I do have the backrest piece, I was looking for something that bolts into that spot when I don't want to have that backrest in. With that piece, I wouldn't need to swap in and out the oem grabrail. I could have a machine shop fabricate something if needed, just wasn't sure if there was anything available. Does the virago riser replace the entire grab rail assembly or use it in any way to bolt up?

As far as the seat hardware goes, I think I need 6, 10mm hex head bolts to install the front seat (4 bolts), and rear seat (2 bolts). I'm guessing I need the locking mechanism for the center section as well as I don't have anything like that.

i was trying to figure out the same thing as you with respect to the back rest. haven't some up with anything yet. i've been tossing around the idea of selling it and replace it with a HAC.

i'm pretty sure the front seat only needs 2 bolts. some guys don't even bolt it in.

I guess I have to buy the seat release bracket which I'm not finding for sale currently :(

Attachments

• seat assembly.jpg
    seat assembly.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 19
Front seat takes 4 bolts. Two with a #3 phillips head (they go in the white plastic area of the seat.) Two with a 10mm hex. Rear seat takes two bolts with a 10mm hex head. Plus the rear seat has a tab that will fit in that little metal bracket that sits between the two side rails of the sissybar. The piece that is just stamped steel. It is cast solid into the OEM grab rail.

Sean is saying that you can buy a grabrail from certain years Virago and bolt it to the side plates of the sissybar. The grabrail is chrome and fits right in place of the portion of the sissybar you have removed. I believe you may have to file the bottom of the grab rail just a bit for a perfect fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb162c4ce

!B9IL5c!BGk~$(KGrHqV,!jMEzKSvPTEJBM45u+rQZ!~~_12.JPG

Got a few seat release brackets if you need one. We don't every bolt the front seats in. Just to the seat release bracket. Just the 2 bolts to the rear seat. You've already got good clarification from the other guys on the riser. They are correct. The bottom corners of the virago need sanded down so it will fit all the way in place and let you put the bolts in (they can even be left out but it will rattle around in there and drive you crazy).

Sean

Back