Rear brake ABS after installing Galfer SS lines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally took my 2009 VMAX to Riva Motorsports (Yamaha dealer) to install the Galfer SS lines. After picking up the bike, I noticed that at low speed coming to a stop if I press the rear brake pedal hard, I feel like the ABS is getting activated on the rear break (clunk noise and the pedal pushing up). I asked the mechanic if that was normal because I never felt it before and he said that because the SS lines don't expand like the rubber ones, it is the ABS kicking in when pressing hard on the pedal. Is this normal real brake behavior when installing SS lines? No issues with the front brakes much better control with the Galfer.

Cheers!

Assuming there is no spongeyness in the feel of the levers then the ABS is probably telling you to use more front brake.

I have no experience of ss lines on a Gen II but I do wonder why you feel the need to press hard on the rear brake when coming to a stop.
IMO the majority or braking is done with the front and the rear used to steady the bike.

Agree, the front brake has the more stopping power. I use both brakes always to stop the bike to build muscle memory in the case of an emergency scenario. I use the rear brake for control and to finish the stops. I was testing the brakes after taking the bike from the dealer so I did some emergency drills when I noticed the rear brake difference. I never felt it with the factory lines when doing emergency braking drills.

Cheers

Are you getting it serviced in Pompano Beach? I saw palm trees in some of your pics. I assume Riva is in So. FL?

Are you getting it serviced in Pompano Beach? I saw palm trees in some of your pics. I assume Riva is in So. FL?
Yes, Pompano Beach one. Bill Boyce used to work on my bike but this time he told me that he is no longer working but coaching new mechanics. To my disappointment, I trusted he was going to oversee the work for replacing sparkplugs, front forks service and installing the SS lines. I had to bring the bike back twice because they did a poor job with the forks, and not sure about the plugs.
Bill ended up working on the bike since the mechanic who did the work was let go. He assured me it had nothing to do with work quality...I am not going back to Riva....

I have known Bill for over 40 years. He is someone to whom I've turned to get info when I needed it. He should be at the Dania Beach Frost Park AMCA show in Jan. 2023. He has a Bultaco Metralla two-stroke single which is beautiful, he usually shows it there. I think it has an Astro engine. That's the flattrack powerplant for you non-Bultaco guys.

Back