Rear brake failed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easye

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2015 Vmax. I was out riding today and i came up to a traffic light so I depressed the rear brake to come to a stop and it failed. Went all the way to the floor sort of speaking. No rear brakes!!!Yikes!!. Good thing the front brakes still worked. Has anyone ever experience this? Are the brake systems linked? My front brake worked so maybe not. AS I carefully rode the bike to the dealer the rear brake resumed normal function. WTF? any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
E

The brake systems are separate, they are not linked. Usually it is air in the system when it "goes to the floor". Did you check the fluid level for your rear brake?

Thanks for your reply. I did not check the fluid since i did not see any leak. How did air get in a closed system? Im glad they are not linked. saved my butt. thanks

Another explanation would be brake fade.
This is where either:
a) Heat from excessive use of the rear brake causes the fluid to boil and as the gas can compress the pedal will go to the floor
or
b) The brake fluid has not been changed as recommended.
Brake fluid is hydroscopic and will absorb water. This lowers the boiling point of the fluid and give the same condition described above but at lower temperatures.

Once the temperature of the fluid has dropped below its boiling point the pedal (or lever) will return to normal.

Forgive me if I'm reading your original post incorrectly but I sense that you tend to rely mainly on the rear brake?
Quote 'Good thing the front brakes still worked.'

Back