Rear Brake not working. ABS not working?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabre@V65

Reaction score
Hello all. Took the bike out and after a little while i had no rear brakes. Brake pedal travel was about half, Got back home and lifted the bike up and pressed the brake pedal and nothing. Nothing is missing or broken in the brake pedal mechanism. Looks like everything is functioning fine and brake fluid was full. I heard there was a ABS test, can anyone Verify?

There is an ABS test that is documented in the manual. I've seen several units that went bad.

Got no rear brake either. Bleed a whole bottle of Dot 4 through and still can't get a stiff peddle. Guess I'll get the manual out and do the ABS test.

I am not sure if they can be rebuilt. I think I have one or two here but they are not cheap even used as you mentioned. I think someone found one that just needed connectors cleaned too?

I would suspect the master cylinder needs a rebuild done before going with anything to do with the abs. Kits are not expensive and they give these same symptoms when the seals go bad.

It would seem that even with a bad master cyl piston you would get something. This is a very strange problem and it seems more then 1 guy has the issue..

I have this issue and I replaced the rear master cylinder with a new OEM part and it made no difference. It is looking more like the ABS block has a bad solenoid in it which means megabucks.

Can you bleed the slave cylinder? That would indicate you have some flow. I don't remember if there is a bleeder on the MC.

Yes, problem is only with the rear brakes. After reading threads for an hour yesterday it seems that this has been a problem for Yamaha in other models using the same system. The rears go out first. They say it's from either sitting or lack of abs activation. Some are saying you should lock up the rear wheel on purpose to activate the system once in a while because they lockup over time. My bike sits a lot. I have only put 2k miles on it in the last two years. It's not the only bike I have.

That actually makes a lot of sense to about forcing the ABS to activate. I've got a problem with the rear brake on my CBX. The slave cylinder is not retracting. I'm sure it is corrosion from non use.

Next VMAX ride I'm locking up the rear. Thanks for the tip.

Hello all. Took the bike out and after a little while i had no rear brakes. Brake pedal travel was about half, Got back home and lifted the bike up and pressed the brake pedal and nothing. Nothing is missing or broken in the brake pedal mechanism. Looks like everything is functioning fine and brake fluid was full. I heard there was a ABS test, can anyone Verify?
Sorry U are having problems, maybe a dealer can find out quickly what is causing it? I detest the hi-tech and touchy parts put on Cycles today that I consider not at all needed. Give me a great set of front dual discs and rear disc, stainless steel lines and Brembo or non and forget the rest!

I am thinking my ABS unit is toast. I found a company in France called Diag-Engine that will rebuild my current unit for $460.00 USD with a lifetime warranty. I would just have to pay shipping back and forth which is about $60.00 from Florida to France. Once I do this I will get back with you all to let you know of my experience so maybe those who are having the same problem will have another option. Ride on!!!

I might have a good used OEM unit but even then it's not a cheap part.

Latest posts

Back