Rear Diff question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my hands on a rear diff that had an issue, to use "to practice" before working on my bike. I have a small oil leak, in the main spline area and am quite certain it is the o ring, an possible seal. So on the practice diff, I was able to remove the cover that has the seal and oring, and also was able to remove the main spline gear out of the diff, just to learn. So I am trying to put everything back together, but I am not able to put the cover back on, because I can't get the bearing to seat in the cover. Will I need a press for this? I was hoping to replace the seal and oring without removing the diff on my bike, but if I can't get the bearing to seat in the cover, I will have remove the diff.
I have tried a couple of ways that I thought would work, but no go. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

No press needed to install that bearing.
Put the new bearing in the freezer.
Grab your old bearing and put in in you bench vise.
Use a thin cut off wheel and cut all the way through the outer, and inner race of the bearing.
Rotate the inner race approx 45 degrees.
Insert grinder thru slot you made through outer race, and cut through inner race again.
Knock the inner race and the balls/cage out.
Grind any burrs off the outer race.
Use it as the perfect sized bearing driver.

If you remove the seal from the bearing carrier (cover as you call it) you can heat it up with a propane torch.
The bearing (if cold from being in freezer a few hours) will basically drop right in.

Or, take it a shop that has a press
Or, take you time to drive it in straight with your home made driver.

One other tip, start calling it a final drive unless it looks something like this

DIFFmain.jpg

Back