Rear Fender Chop

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemax04

Reaction score
Never did like that duck bill on the rear fender. Bought a used fender off of eBay and proceeded to make the necessary alterations. It's much simpler than it might look. Use a hacksaw with a new quality blade in it and mark the cut with a pencil or perm marker. Getting the radius right looks hard but is easy to do. When the fender is marked, turn it until the marked line is straight instead of curved. This is the angle of the cut. Start the cut in the middle of the fender and on the line, and just follow the line on both sides with one cut. Using a bastard file or other rough file, smooth out the curve and round the cut edge. Sand, paint and you have a different look.

The support fender needs to be changed too and it's also easy to do. It's been two years since I did mine and didn't make any notes on dimensions. The picture from the inner fender should help a lot. The plate holder slides under the support and can be secured with pop rivets. Good old pop rivets........gotta love em.

If interested, I'll be glad to work with you on a more detailed level.

Attachments

• Fenderchop.jpg
    Fenderchop.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 213
  • Alteredsupport.jpg
    Alteredsupport.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 129
Good idea, I don't like the duck look either. I never would have thought of that. Simple- just cut the damm thing off. I got the fender off right now - stripped down right now for winter. I wonder if I can do it without wrecking the paint. I guess I could cover the end with some moulding. I don't want to get into painting it. ( this is tempting )

Looks nice;

Got any Pics of it on the bike?

Wonder if I could do that to a fake carbon fender and just put black paint on the cut edge?

wfcall said:
Looks nice;

Got any Pics of it on the bike?

Wonder if I could do that to a fake carbon fender and just put black paint on the cut edge?

This isn't a great shot of the rear fender but should give you an idea what snoutless looks like. There is just enough covering the tire so the bike won't get sprayed by it. One never knows what one can do until he tries it. All things are possible and everybody has some creativity.

Attachments

• Eins.jpg
    Eins.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 283
  • RearFender.jpg
    RearFender.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 210
  • RunningLights.jpg
    RunningLights.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I know this is an old post but maybe this will help with those that are intersted in doing the same and dont like the duck look! My rear fender was already broken so I trimed it mostly off and took off the rear grab bar ect! Let me know if anyone else likes some of the other mods ive done!? Im interested to see how this vmax community likes my version of how I think the vmax looks its best! Thanks
Thanks to all that have put their info and fixes on here to. especially the carb gurus! Ive had a hell of a time getting those carbs working right! and still in the process.

Compared to Mikemax04, it's a bit understated.
But on it's own, it's definitely different, imo it's missing something.

I have done pretty much this exact same modification but usually only due to cracked or damaged fenders. I like to keep the water and road crap off my back. Plus, any exposed tire has to have coverage at the dragstrip. The little plate sticking down on the earlier pics would make it legal and solve both of those problems but I still don't like the looks of it myself.

Sean

i'd have to agree with sean ,not really my style i kinda like the rear fender myself but i would like to see the rest of the bike.have any video clips of it running?i'm curious as to how that exhaust sounds.what kind of pipes are those?

Here is a picture of the chop we did on the rear fender, the pic is kinda old. the exhaust has been replaced with a 4 into 1 system since this pic was taken.

020-Copy-1.jpg

Back