Rear Fender loose

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau254

Reaction score
My new to me- 1992 Gen I has a loose rear fender. You can take it with your hand & pick it up & down like 3-4 inches. I noticed it when I was changing plates. It has the 3-4 bolts up thru it up-top from underneath, but I took the seat off & noticed there is nothing attached to the front end of the inner fender. (See pic.) is there something missing here where the 2 fold down tabs are, or is there a way I can attach something up front? Not sure if the plastic is cracked or something? Or if I have to fold those 2 tabs back to pinch it? Or is it designed to be loose that way? This is my first Max, so I don’t know what it’s supposed to look like under there.

Attachments

• 18EDE0CD-59CC-4336-8929-36B676906406.jpeg
    18EDE0CD-59CC-4336-8929-36B676906406.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 30
You might try some JB Weld and some screen in the area where the plastic is missing. Leave space for the tabs to slip-out of the locating holes then formed.

So the fender is supposed to flip loose like that? That’s what I’m wondering. Or is it supposed to attach to something in that region to be rigid & not move?

My new to me- 1992 Gen I has a loose rear fender. You can take it with your hand & pick it up & down like 3-4 inches. I noticed it when I was changing plates. It has the 3-4 bolts up thru it up-top from underneath, but I took the seat off & noticed there is nothing attached to the front end of the inner fender. (See pic.) is there something missing here where the 2 fold down tabs are, or is there a way I can attach something up front? Not sure if the plastic is cracked or something? Or if I have to fold those 2 tabs back to pinch it? Or is it designed to be loose that way? This is my first Max, so I don’t know what it’s supposed to look like under there.
No, it's not meant to be loose. The tabs have a rubber doodfas (Yameringha calls them 'dampers', part number437-21717-10) over them which fit into the corresponding holes in the mudguard.

Guess I’ll just use 2 big zip ties. One on each slot.

That's one way to do it.

Personally, Id locate a new rear fender for it. Or fix the old one with some fiberglass resin "bondo" kit.

HOLY Split! For ha-ha's I looked up some prices for a Vmax rear fender. Then I fell outa my chair. Then got back in said chair. I guess prices went up a bit since I've been looking.
(Then again, Its been probably 6 years or more, since lookin for a DECENT shape rear fender.)

Using eBay, for ref., Cheapest one I JUST saw was $100. Priciest was 230 something.. and these were pretty well beat/cracked and had hacked up rattle paintjobs. (at least the 100 one did.) Didn't even look at the 200 plus one, as I didn't want them to think I was considering it. because NOBODY SHOULD BE CONSIDERING A $239 REAR PLASTIC VMAX FENDER.

A couple years back, (when I was looking) I had gotten a "shortie" Max fender (which is what I wanted at time)- From a member, needed work, as he said. Had a broken spot in an area that didn't show when mounted on bike. I think was less than 40 including a cheap tail light. (which I also needed).

I eventually wanted a factory length Rear, got one from a member here again (diff member) for 65 Bucks, in great physical shape, but had 3 or 4 different colors painted on it. (not very well either)- I was gonna paint it anyway. and IT included a Honda CBR led taillight ($60+ new) which I also wanted.

It was during THAT fender search that I found ANOTHER MEMBER HERE selling an entire set of both Fenders and "tank" cover for $175 in VERY GOOD shape, and black in color. So I got those, and my max stayed black for years.

OMG. I have become a Fire-medic poster. … Only with Less actual facts, and more "Prattling on" story telling. 🤣

Just Kidding, FM.

(In case anyone is new or doesn't know, I appreciate every post from Fire-Medic regardless of topic..or Length.) 👍 🍻

I must have had a point here somewhere..

Oh yeah, Id just fix the fender you have for now.

T$

I've been buying spares for near-30 years just to avoid this kind of sticker shock. If you have room for it a parts bike is a good investment assuming you're going to continue to ride this thing for decades.

Latest posts

Back