Rear Lighting Upgrades

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackjack

Reaction score
Looking for some rear lighting that will improve my visibility. I have run across a couple of items that may help, but would like some additional feed-back as well. The new V Brake Light is awesome; however, out of my price range for now. "V" Light

Reflector LED Light
Cick Here!

Back Off Flasher
Click Here

I put a "back-off" on the GF's Marauder. I can't remember what it does because I never ride behind her. I have a different brand on the Max that flashes three times then goes solid.
I will put a tail light modulator on every bike I own from now on.

One note though. I had a cop tell me that flashing red lights are illegal unless it's on a emergency response vehicle and he could write me a ticket for it.
I told him to start writing! My safety was more important than his 80 dollar ticket and I wasn't unplugging it.
He sent me on my way without the customary "sign here, It's not an admission of guilt, just means you'll show up in court".

I got a LED reflector, the result is just amazing.
I did wire it as a brake like, keeping the LED plate holder (same seller) as a running light.
The pic really reflect how it is :p

Attachments

• brake-light-30.JPG
    brake-light-30.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 79
Does anyone know how to hook up both rear blinker lights to the brake wiring to come on simultaneously when engaged and still be functional as turn signals?

Probably be easiest to get a dual filimant bulb signal set (like the front has). Wire up the low beam light as your signal and the high as the brake. You'l probably need a flasher relay or some other kit to make them flash though.

Sean

Does anyone know how to hook up both rear blinker lights to the brake wiring to come on simultaneously when engaged and still be functional as turn signals?

Might be able to put a dual element circuit in before the light, hook both turns to one side of the dual element but you would probably need a diode on each turn signal wire to keep from backfeeding the left turn signal to right and vise versa. At least in theory that would work. Never tried it though. Would be cheap if it worked. Diodes are about $1. Dual element about $8.

I put a dual element ckt on my led tail and it works good. But, its a run/brake light, not turn brake

On my current Max I put front signals on the rear and wired them to be running and signal lights just like the front. No problem with the flashing rate with the stock flasher. I then added one of those trailer lights that fit perfectly in the reflector spot and wired it as an extra brake light. I got the one with the regular bulbs a long time ago but they are now available with LED's.

On my previous Max I used a Priority Lites accessory that converts the rear signal single filament bulbs to running and signal lights by dimming the power when used as running lights. I had the light in the reflector spot as a running instead of brake light. For better braking visibility, I had those Hyper Lites on the license / inspection backing plate.

Just two ways to increase your rear visibility.

+1 on Coprunner's brake light. After talking to him, I did the same thing because I was chopping down my rear fender and needed somewhere to mount a brake light. Pretty easy to do, I just filled in my reflector plate with jb weld, sanded and painted the whole thing flat black. Went riding with my neighbor the other day and he said it is highly visible even from a 1/4 mile or more back.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and links, I feel much better on making a decision now.

Ordered 2 Smoked (Item: LB03S)
Knight Rider Non-Sequential Dual Intensity 12 LED Light Bar with Flashing Brake Alert

These folks have great customer service

Click Here!

I have a custom one that Rumblethump had custom made, it looks like Yamaha had made it, or should have made one to replace the reflector.
I also made a custom led tail/ brake light utilizing Custom Dynamics LED's. I have one of the 3 LED's that flashes 5x then goes solid just to be more noticeable, especially when I hit the brakes.

Attachments

• IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 46
Blackjack,
very nice set-up & it looks great. Could you provide some more info on the cost of the two 12 LED light bar, any other components ? and how you went about installing. Thanks much !

Blackjack,
very nice set-up & it looks great. Could you provide some more info on the cost of the two 12 LED light bar, any other components ? and how you went about installing. Thanks much !

My Order:

I chose the smoked because it blends in well with the rest of the bike. Since they have different colors you may what to consider something different

These folks are extremely helpful if you need advice as well
Click Here!

Knight Rider Non-Sequential Dual Intensity 12 LED Light Bar with Flashing Brake Alert
Smoked
Item: LB03S
Price: $26.95 (each) x 2 = $57.68

3M Promoter Pack $1.89 (Used for prepping surface for improved adhesion)

Posi-Tap wire connectors; 2 packages of 4 each $6.00 total (Recommend for easier install, I will purchase more of this product)

Total Price with shipping $72.63

Install: There may be an easier way to modify the bracket or purchase a different mounting bracket or just buy a bracket with a light already mounted; however, this is basically what I did to accomplish the task.

Remove back seat
Wire lights in per instructions and check for correct operation
Remove reflector bracket

Note:
Since these LED lights are longer than the reflector and the reflector is raised 3/32" higher than the bracket surface I decided to remove the red reflector. The reflector is glued on, so I broke it out in small pieces which can take some time because I did not want to harm the mounting plate.

After the reflector removal you end up with about a 1/16" recess, which still is not a completely flat surface. So at this point you will need to come up with a way to fill in this recess with something to make it even with the top surface. I chose to do the opposite; I used a belt sander to remove the top surface down to the recess area.

Then it is just a manner of centering the lights without gluing them down so you can determine where to drill the 2 holes for both wires to pass through. After drilling the holes run the wire through and check for a smooth mounting surface contact and proper light centering. Remove lights from reflector bracket and place it back on the bike so you can mark where the next 2 holes need to be drilled to pass the wires into the under seat compartment area for the wiring hook-up.

Re-install the mounting bracket but do not tighten the nuts
Run LED lights wires through the 2 holes until they reach the under seat area
Before gluing the lights down, go ahead and hook them up once more and check operation
Apply 3M Promoter Pack to prep mounting surface and wait 3 minutes
Removed tape from back of one light; carefully position; and press it onto the bracket
Repeat for the second light

Tighten everything back up and have a cold one for me :clapping:

Looks great, I'm sure the flashing LED will serve to alert or at least get their attention focused on that you are braking!
I have those same CD leds, much brighter that my old motorcycle mods tail lights. I have only one of the 3 that flash which, along with my reflector led, should be more than enough to catch their attention.

Back