Rear rotor opinions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TB99Max

Reaction score
I am going to need to replace my rear rotor real soon and wanted some opinions if I should find a used stocker, or is it worth it to upgrade to one of those cross drilled eBay specials?! Or is there another low cost option? I would love to do the R1 with Sean Morley's adaptor but I've been spending to much on this bike lately and my wife is started to get irritated with it!

Here's basically what I did. I have an 07, so I have the larger rotors. Sean sells an adapter, so you can run a larger rotor on the rear too.

So, cheapest options, get a used 93-up rotor, get the adapter from Sean, run the stock caliper, and go with the green pads.

Attachments

• user8061_pic8938_1394308717.jpg
    user8061_pic8938_1394308717.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 53
I am going to need to replace my rear rotor real soon and wanted some opinions if I should find a used stocker, or is it worth it to upgrade to one of those cross drilled eBay specials?! Or is there another low cost option? I would love to do the R1 with Sean Morley's adaptor but I've been spending to much on this bike lately and my wife is started to get irritated with it!

Read the first post in this thread. Should be under $100 for everything...

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=31997&highlight=axle+diameter

PO of my 06 had a heavy foot and the rotor took the brunt it seems. I replaced my rotor using an OEM. My bros had put aftermarket EMGO fronts and rear on his 87 and they SUCK! He tor them off and put OEMs again.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced the inner piston on the rear hanging as an issue? Dragging.

I'm having that issue that's why I have to replace my rotor! I also found a caliper from an 2005 that I'm swapping mine out with. Trauma hawk told me about his set up and I'm going to go that route. Getting an adaptor from Sean and going to run a front (larger diameter) rotor on the rear. It seems to me that quite a few guys on here are using the Chinese wavy rotors and haven't had any issues with them.

Any solutions for the inner piston drag syndrome? Is it systemic on all years?

I thought it was a caliper that was bad or needed to be rebuilt or a master cylinder that was bad. That's why I'm having to replace my rotor and I also found a caliper off a 2005 for pretty cheap.

If you have to rebuild your rear master cyl or tear-down & replace the rear brake caliper gaskets (which usually don't need replacement unless someone REALLY dragged the brake until their tire exploded, or other overheating, like the bike was in a fire-I'm exaggerating, but you get the point) then getting an Asian aftermarket replacement rotor is a good way to go. I still run OEM rotors and just keep them clean.

If you have a buildup of oxidation on the pistons which are causing the caliper to not retract the pistons when you let-off foot pressure, then usually you can just tear down the pistons, clean their sides w/a scotchbrite pad, fine sandpaper, or a fine wire wheel, being sure not to gouge anything. You don't have to split the caliper, but it makes cleaning the caliper easier. Just don't gouge the pistons. Usually you can re-use the square O-rings that provide the seal for the pistons in the caliper. The dust seal often gets swollen and may not stay in-position if it's old, has been exposed to brake fluid, and weathering, or is worn or torn. Then you should replace it.

Back