Rear shock bolt

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDIMD

Reaction score
Trying to remove the rear shock. How do you get the top cover that surrounds the bolt, cant get the socket to squeeze in. Is there a special tool or socket to get at it?

It should just take a 10mm socket.do you have another socket? Maybe one for a 1/4" drive set will be a bit skinnier.

Posted with my thumbs.

Sounds like you are trying to use an impact socket. Those aren't torqued-down very-much so you should be able to remove them easily. As Davesax said, a 1/4" socket set is more-than enough to get the job done.

Thanks. It took a 13mm with the 1/4 socket. But couldnt budge the zhock loose off the studs. But was in a hurry and will deal with it tomorrow.

I am also looking to see what bolts these shpuld be . Have a 2001 vmax im rebuilding be wasnt able to see in service manual what size these are

The part number of most of the bolts signify what their sizes are (it won't say the socket or allen size but the thread size and length). Typically the 6mm's are 1.0 pitch and the 8mm's and 10mm's are 1.25 pitch.

Having just taken the shocks off a few days back I have ready access to get you a pic. Diameter of threads looks to be 8mm.

IMG_20230116_073425812_HDR.jpg

That is the stock upper bolt and retainer. You can convert to an allen (8mm x 20mm x 1.25 pitch) and then use a chrome cap to cover it up for nice decoration. OR, convert the retainer to a spool mount and have a place to hook your bungy straps to. I used to have some around here and would need to see if I have more available.

Looking at aftermarket shocks. What size is the top and bottom mounting hole?
Factory shock length center to center is 13 and a half?
And a person could probably use a 13" to 14" length shock?? I'm 170 lbs.

davelaf Mornin' I measured the studs that are welded to the frame and swing arm, 14mm or just over 1/2 inch, .55" decimal.
Thanks Wayne. You probably don't have the longest riding season in the world over there. I just missed about an inch of rain with hail in it this afternoon. It was sunny for a bit. PDX.

Back