Rear shock bushing stuck

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen007

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas for getting an old bushing off the swingarm bolt? The metal inner part if the bushing seems pretty well on there. I've tried penetrating oil, wooden mallet, heating it up, and heavy toothed pliers. Not sure how the hell to get this thing off. The other side popped right out. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 29
I cut a slot along the length of mine.
Was able to apply some leverage to open the sleeve up.

Supplementary: Does anyone know of a supplier of replacement bushes?

I cut a slot along the length of mine.
Was able to apply some leverage to open the sleeve up.

Supplementary: Does anyone know of a supplier of replacement bushes?

Mr. Midnight is correct, to my way of thinking. A Dremel tool is your friend. Just be-sure you carefully-monitor the depth of cut to prevent any encroachment into the structure of the threaded stud, itself. Using a small cold chisel to make the last cut to the section of the bushing closest to the swingarm plate should do it. Position the chisel at the end of the slot you just cut, parallel to the slot, and with the tip of the chisel in the slot, and carefully try to 'spread' the cut open as you work the chisel along the just-cut slot. Again, be-careful to avoid damaging the threaded stud.

Progressive Suspension sells bushings, they probably come in a kit of an assortment of thicknesses and sizes. You could probably just tell them it's for a Gen I & they will just ship the baggie that goes into their VMax-specific shock set. There's no guaranteeing that the size will be exact, but even if you had to do some sanding to make it fit, I think this should be your best bet.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting an old bushing off the swingarm bolt? The metal inner part if the bushing seems pretty well on there. I've tried penetrating oil, wooden mallet, heating it up, and heavy toothed pliers. Not sure how the hell to get this thing off. The other side popped right out. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Whats your project?

I have sacrifical shocks I can get a bushing out of. That is glued originally to the rubber bushing. On occassion the shocks have the bushing rust to the swingarm and you get this happen. You can also try heating up the bushing to see if it will break free or come loose with the vice grip.

Sean

Thanks for all of the replies! It's always nice to get some extra perspective to help problem solve these situations. I think I'll try a set of vice grips first and move on to some careful work with my rotary tool if that doesn't work, cutting lengthwise along the metal bushing and prying apart with a flathead. I have new bushings to go back on, so I'm okay there - thanks Sean. I'm actually putting on the 444 HD's I just ordered from you. They came in the mail pretty damn quick. I appreciate you helping me out so much with that order - looking forward to the braced swingarm too!

It's been raining like hell in Seattle and it's not supposed to stop for a few days, but once those springs go on (hopefully this eve) I'm preparing for a soaker of a ride!

-Glen

Back