Rear Shock Upgrades

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackFunTeach

Reaction score
Howdie All VMAXers,
I did a lot of reading on this forum to see who is content with Stock Rear Shocks, and how much do you need to upgrade to get nice, nice?

I tried the Progressive 412s, better, but not life changing. Then, I researched the next Progressive Model up the 440/444 AIS. I thought the 440s must be better but 300 bucks better? Well, I got a great deal from a VMAXer I know in town. He is a truck driver that told me that he bought them, but never got around to installing them. So, he cut me a wicked deal.

Are these AIS 440s better? Wholeheartedly, YES!! Are they THAT MUCH better. For me, with a bad back, YES. But you have to value how smooth the 440s truly are! On harsh pot holes, you feel kind of "slow motion" down and quick back up for the next bump. They work!

Just my 0.02 cents in case someone was interested in upgrading.

Jack

Last edited:
You get what you pay for. Imagine what you can get if you get the $2500 Penske stuff we sell!

Too bad you have to buy 2 penskes. I bought one for my FZ1 and it changed my life.... ish. Such amazing pieces of equipment, though. Can you get the Works shocks, Sean? Do you have a lower cost penske option? I know they make a shock that's not as adjustable, but should be about $600 each.

I have 3 different ones. Cheapest I think is around $1500 for the PAIR.

Man, with shocks and wheels I could double the value of my bike... I'm sure it'll happen at some point.

Make peace with the idea that you will never get your money back on a vmax and then it gets pretty easy. It's just a slow, gentle letting go.

shh..shh
this is how it has to be...

Make peace with the idea that you will never get your money back on a vmax and then it gets pretty easy. It's just a slow, gentle letting go.

shh..shh

LOL...true....but anyone that worked on muscle cars..etc has had to come to that conclusion. At least with cars, you tend to get back half the price of parts, and none of the labour costs.

shh..shh

Yeah. I don't mind. I'm not sure my wife would ever let me sell this bike after all I've been through with it. I think it's better to keep one money pit around so at least you know where it all went.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

The 440's are great shocks. The fine adjustments make them easy to dial in. I'm on one step up for normal riding. 3 steps for stiff requirement or two up riding. I've never been sorry since I put them on a couple of years ago.
I wish I'd bought two sets at the price, then.
Steve-o

The 440's are great shocks. The fine adjustments make them easy to dial in. I'm on one step up for normal riding. 3 steps for stiff requirement or two up riding. I've never been sorry since I put them on a couple of years ago.
I wish I'd bought two sets at the price, then.
Steve-o

Steve, I played around with that preload adjustment all yesterday afternoon, ending up in the exact same conclusion. It's right on the full ring. I adjusted them like I do the bass on my hi-fi system at home. I start with maximum bass and then back it down to "just right." I did my 440 preload adjustment the same way, and boy, it is very definitive when you find "just right." Just like surfing the asphalt now.

I had sport bikes before using Works Shocks. To me, I could not find joy on account that they didn't have a full travel. And I supplied my weight and riding style very clearly to the technicians. So maybe just personal preference.

WAY, way back, I had a BMW 1000 that I bought used. It came with Ohlins. Even that $2000+ shock, they didn't really perform as nicely as the 440s. These 440s were too costly for me before. But I connected with someone that used to work for Progressive Shocks. Anyways, he...well really his wife GAVE me a great deal. And by the way, she mentioned that she has a closet full of new ones...

It could be that this set is just dialed in perfectly to my weight and ride style ..I'm a big boy weighing in a 225. I gained some weight and I can feel the difference on the bike. Anyways, I just wanted to offer my subjective riding impressions of something that I have wanted for a long time.

I've decided to change the shocks on all my bikes. I currently have several, so I'm gonna contact the folks I know to get hooked up.

On the VMAX, I "think" this strategy will work. If I went all power mods first, then, the suspension wouldn't be able to handle it. But with this progress strategy of Race Tech Good Valve Emulators INSTALLED up front, and now, with the 440s, even Sean's most mightly power mods won't plow the suspension. It's ready to rock.

Thanks for all the input.
Jack

I am presently in Mexico City on my way eventually to South America on my 2001 Yamaha VMax. I have Ohlins shocks (S36PR1C1L) which need to be rebuilt. Does anyone know if it is possible to rebuild them here in Mexico or if I need to send them to the States? Does anyone know of rebuilders?

If I need to send them away, I will need a set of good used VMax shocks to use while they are being rebuilt which could take months with shipping from down here.

If anyone has a good set at a great price, I would appreciate it greatly.

I started off in Northern Ontario, Canada and stopped for the big event in Sturgis before heading down south on my way to Colombia and beyond. I am presently staying at the Santa Muertes Clubhouse in Mexico City right now. They are a great bunch of guys who know how to have serious fun.

Hope to hear from someone who can help soon. Thanks
Greg

I am sure I can help get them rebuilt and have shocks I can loan. Don't expect it to be super cheap (the loan is at ship cost only). Need to email me at [email protected]

I've been riding around on a cheap eBay pair of shocks since June, better than stock but I'm not sure if they're as good as 440s

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21481

Latest posts

Back