Rear shocks: height and model choice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaneer

Reaction score
I've installed a set of Progressive springs and internally lowered the front end an inch. I want to upgrade the rear with a set of Progressives. My first question is: what are the goods and or bads of choosing a pair of 11 or 11.5 inchers, or is it best to level out the bike with 12s? being able to put my feet on the ground is not a problem and I'm thinking of lowering the seat just for looks alone. I'm more thinking of wanting to smooth out the ride and being able to hug the corners, even though i'm still a novice and am so not a canyon carver. That leads into the second question: what does it matter with selecting the "good", "better", or "best" of Progressive's lineup by an enthusiastic rookie, who has put over 10k on the clock the past year, but will probably not be trying to win a mountain rally any time soon

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android

I'm no suspension expert, but this is the way I'm looking at my mods, in a sort of general way.

I think the seating position of a sports bike puts more weight over the front wheel, and there is less rake on the forks. That makes the front end handle better. To me, less rake is like the swept back wings on a fighter jet. More unstable means quicker turning.

From what you are saying, you want it to be a bit more like a sports bike.
Soooo, to get the weight further over the front wheel, people will use drag bars and rearsets to pivot the torso further forward. Also lower the back less than the front to decrease the rake on the front forks.

Don't lower the back too much, because then it's becoming more like an Orange County Chopper. Yuck.

Also, a better handling bike is better for all riders, so no improvements will be wasted!

Do you use your center stand? If you do, any lowering - even 12.5" - will make it VERY difficult to use.
I had 12.5" shocks on my '86 when I first got it and had to ride the rear tire on a plank to get the back on the stand on my own! And I'm not small either..

From what you are saying, you want it to be a bit more like a sports bike.
Soooo, to get the weight further over the front wheel, people will use drag bars and rearsets to pivot the torso further forward. Also lower the back less than the front to decrease the rake on the front forks.

Don't lower the back too much, because then it's becoming more like an Orange County Chopper. Yuck.
great thoughts that i wouldn'tve otherwise realized. thanks!

Do you use your center stand? If you do, any lowering - even 12.5" - will make it VERY difficult to use.
I had 12.5" shocks on my '86 when I first got it and had to ride the rear tire on a plank to get the back on the stand on my own! And I'm not small either..
again thanks for the insight. This made me realize that I might have to address the kickstand as well?

again thanks for the insight. This made me realize that I might have to address the kickstand as well?

Very true! The lower the bike, the more upright it'll sit on the kick stand. I saw a friend's bike toppled over by the wind of a passing truck once while stopped under a bridge on the Florida highway waiting for a storm to pass..

Ideally if you lower the bike you should cut off a bit of the kick stand too, and if you use the center stand it'll also need 'leg shortening' to still be usable.

I dropped my front end 1" and the rear 1/2" when I went with the Progressive 440s.
I like the way the bike tracks much better however it makes it a real bitch to get up on the center stand.

I am not a huge guy but if you step on the center stand pedal and pull up on the grab bar (where it bolts to the frame by the helmet lock) it makes it much easier.

I still need to do something with my sidestand. While functional the bike stands much more upright than I would like.

This made me realize that I might have to address the kickstand as well?

You can get one of those: http://planetvmax.com/85-07vmax/suspension/ufo-gen1-kickstand/ , a bit pricey but it's adjustable or you can take it to your local muffler shop they can shorten it for you and reweld the bottom piece, just make sure you mark what you want taken out with a paint marker.

I only lowered the front (not sure how much exactly, probably good 2 inches) and had to take about an inch out of the sidestand. My sidestand basically ends right where the spring attaches to it.

I lowered my front 2" internally and then went with the Progressive 11.5" 430's. I wanted just a bit quicker turn in without being unstable at high speeds. Has worked well so far. I got the shocks and a shortened kickstand from Sean. I took off the centerstand as soon as I got the bike, but when needed, I just bolt it on and put the rear tire on a 2x4. No problems then getting it lifted.

I've installed a set of Progressive springs and internally lowered the front end an inch. I want to upgrade the rear with a set of Progressives. My first question is: what are the goods and or bads of choosing a pair of 11 or 11.5 inchers, or is it best to level out the bike with 12s? being able to put my feet on the ground is not a problem and I'm thinking of lowering the seat just for looks alone. I'm more thinking of wanting to smooth out the ride and being able to hug the corners, even though i'm still a novice and am so not a canyon carver. That leads into the second question: what does it matter with selecting the "good", "better", or "best" of Progressive's lineup by an enthusiastic rookie, who has put over 10k on the clock the past year, but will probably not be trying to win a mountain rally any time soon

Sent from my Tapatalking Hercules Android
Some lower softer Progressives shocks will smooth out the ride of your Max.(I removed the center stand).When I cut the side stand. That spure thing-ey that the spring hooks to hit the ground & eventually broke off.Had to drill a hole in what was left.I had to turn the spring upside down to fit right. So be careful how much u cut the side stand. Good luck with yer project Nin:biglaugh:

Attachments

• cut side stand.JPG
    cut side stand.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 37
damn you guys are awesome! i think i know now what height and which model to shoot for. but dang it, the project is getting more involved--what with the stands and all...well maybe just the kickstand, i could never understand how to get the bike up on the centerstand without a 2x4, so actually having to use a 2x4 because i lowered the bike isn't any love lost.

is there some kind of rule of thumb of knowing how much to trim the side stand? perhaps something like for every X inches you lower the bike, you should cut Y inches off the stand?

I have modified side stands in a different way in the past. I put the bike on the side stand and heat it with a torch and gradually pull the bike down till it is the angle I like then let it cool. After cooling, I have the side stand powdercoated. Worked fine and never any problems. I have an oxy/acetylene rig though. Need to have a torch that will heat the metal enough for it to bend. Do not over heat though. If done right, the stand will bend gradually.

My forks are dropped 2" but shocks are stock heightI modded my kickstand by shaving the stop with a file.
IMG_0652.jpg
It is a little more upright than stock but with it being rotated forward it doesn't roll forward off the stand as easy.
IMG_0681.jpg

Plenty of different ways to do it. We shorten the stands on exchange and haven't had a problem with any of them yet.

Sean

Back