rear shocks upgraded springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrizog60

Reaction score
as title says...
anyone has different springs on their stock shocks?
hyperpro sells progressive springs for the rear shocks,any benefits from keeping the stock shocks?
or just toss them in the parts bin and go for a complete setup?
thanks

If you can afford them, go w/new shocks complete. Plenty of guys run Progressive Suspension of varying specs depending on their requirements. Some want shorter, I would suggest shortening the downtubes point of clamping in the triple tree if you get 1" or more shorter shocks, because you alter the effective steering head angle by using shorter rear shocks. Be aware that too much downtube above the top triple clamp can cause you to possibly have the wheel/fender impact the radiator at full compression.

There are other sellers of shocks, you get what you pay for usually: cheap shocks, poor performance. Want the top of the line? Penske but they are $$$!

The stock rear shocks are a compromise. The Yamaha engineers dont know if the rider will be Pee Wee Gleason at 130 lbs, or someone that weighs 350 lbs.

Your always better off upgrading the front springs and rear shocks.

I started out with 418's which are an upgrade from the stock shocks, and then went to 444's, which I lucked into. Depending on which shocks you get, you could spend more for the shocks than what you spent on the bike. With shocks, you get what you pay for.

Most people don't like the stock rear shocks But I personally have always been very happy with them on my 2000 Vmax.
I weigh 180-185 lbs. and keep them set at 2 (top - damping) and 2 (bottom - preload) for everyday riding and set them at 3 and 3 if I am going to be running hard in the twisties.
I do have Progressive brand fork springs also and they mad a Huge difference from the super soft stock fork springs.

but no one altered the shock springs?
being from portugal progressive stuff is harder to get and more expensive ...

Agree with comments re replacing the shock assemblies.
They are now some fifteen years old and by now are probably starting to show their age.

Have you considered Hagon shocks? They will build a pair to suit your weight and style of riding. Also the pound v. euro means that they are now some 10% cheaper than they were.

not a big fan of the look of hagons,they seem slim.
only asking for the spring upgrade because sometimes they pop up at ebay

The British & Euro bike rags seem to have plenty of Hagon-equipped rides. If they were no good I think you would hear about it in the mags' letters to the editor. Also online of course. From time to time guys on here sell their used stuff, you could probably find a good deal just by paying attention daily, or by advertising in 'parts wanted.' From my Vmax ownership, I'd say the stockers are OK for most peoples' needs until they lose damping and then it makes sense to go to a quality aftermarket replacement. If you're not planning to keep the bike long, then just look for a used set of stockers, not leaking (like your worn-out ones) and throw them on. Or tell the prospective owner they may need replacement but that your price reflects that.

Depending on how much you weigh you could always just look for a set of OEM shocks off of a newer Vmax with low miles on them.
I do remember someone posting about disassembling the stock shocks so I'm sure it's possible to disassemble them and possibly replace the OEM springs with stronger springs (possibly from Progressive or a similar company).

Springs are expensive, new, from P.S. You might as well just look for a good used set of shocks.

Depending on how much you weigh you could always just look for a set of OEM shocks off of a newer Vmax with low miles on them.
I do remember someone posting about disassembling the stock shocks so I'm sure it's possible to disassemble them and possibly replace the OEM springs with stronger springs (possibly from Progressive or a similar company).

mine have 12.000km from a 2002 bike so not much wear on them.
i dont weigh much,less than 80kg and did find a hyperpro progressive springs for sale at ebay.

i am sure hagon is ok,i just dont like the look of them,way too slim...

i find progressive stuff around,but is for harleys,dont know how well they will perform on a faster bike.

mine have 12.000km from a 2002 bike so not much wear on them.
i dont weigh much,less than 80kg and did find a hyperpro progressive springs for sale at ebay.

i am sure hagon is ok,i just dont like the look of them,way too slim...

i find progressive stuff around,but is for harleys,dont know how well they will perform on a faster bike.

Sporster shocks should be fine for a Gen 1.

not that easy at least online.
and in portugal people tend to sell garbage for the price of gold,so usually i go to ebay uk or germany.
Yup. I sold a set of mint gsx1400 a few months ago for 250. Expect to pay around that number. There's a set on sale by Dave Alford in the UK. Look him up on FB

I have Progressive 440 shocks and I have two set of springs for them; 120 lbs (I believe) which is stock and 170 lbs which is HD and once adjusted properly the HD spring held up the weight of a touring trunk, saddlebags, 1 gal rotopax/ camping gear in place of rear seat during a 5500 mile trip.
If you plan on replacing springs please use the appropriate spring compression tool for shock spring removal, a lot of force at work there!
This is what I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive...:g:fkIAAOSwwbdWHsaS&item=221913937677&vxp=mtr

Yup. I sold a set of mint gsx1400 a few months ago for 250. Expect to pay around that number. There's a set on sale by Dave Alford in the UK. Look him up on FB

i now that they are in that price range but i am a bargain guy lol
i dont have facebook...
the guy that sell the hyperpro wont ship to portugal,never understood why they wont ship to other countries.

thanks anyway,learned that stock ones aren't worth messing about.

Back