Rear signals as running lights.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chug4life

Reaction score
I want to keep original housing of rear signals but want to make them into running lights like the fronts. To over simplify it, looks like all i need is new pigtails that will accept dual filament bulbs and then tie into the rear tailight wiring for "running lights" is this ballpark close to what is needed?

NOTE, most states/locals consider rear facing amber running lights as illegal. i would suggest to convert them to red bulbs at the same time which is legal.

NOTE, most states/locals consider rear facing amber running lights as illegal. i would suggest to convert them to red bulbs at the same time which is legal.

State patrol love light infractions here. Some Vmax vendor used to sell clear covers. Just need red bulbs then.

Mark

I will have to check Canadian laws but regardless i still want to be more visible to cagers in low visibility and other situations

To do that swap with regular bulbs....you need the front stems with the 3 wire set up. Red bulbs or red LEDs will set you up. I never see a cop stop a bike with more correct color lighting in the back of a bike.

You can do the stop/run electrics with just the two wires going in! The bulbs and lens colors are up to you. I have used this circuit on my bikes and vehicles with L.E.D. and incandescent. You'll only need, as shown, two 276-1143 Diodes and one 220 ohm resistor.
I use it on my bikes front blinker/run lights to dim the run side for night or run them on bright for DRL's ,works great!

My rear lights all use this circuit as they are all two wire units including the
under fender taillight. Forgive the alignment, not bolted up yet.
To clarify, my lights are all two wire with a third for the amber blinker

I have an Avalanche pick-up with an Escalade center mount brake light mod, that also has the circuit, it operates as a full time running light and brake light.
All of my bikes/vehicles are L.E.D. and run the Back-off flasher too.
I probably have another, a variation of this circuit, Ill find and post it tomorrow.
BrakeRun.jpg
20200926_141003.jpg20190514_220437.jpg20190419_183743.jpg20190419_183743.jpgIMAG0237.jpgIMAG0238.jpg20190514_220437.jpg

Attachments

• 20200929_104629.jpg
    20200929_104629.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200924_130525.jpg
    20200924_130525.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190419_183717.jpg
    20190419_183717.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 13
I want to keep original housing of rear signals but want to make them into running lights like the fronts. To over simplify it, looks like all i need is new pigtails that will accept dual filament bulbs and then tie into the rear tailight wiring for "running lights" is this ballpark close to what is needed?
You can do the stop/run electrics with just the two wires going in! The bulbs and lens colors are up to you. I have used this circuit on my bikes and vehicles with L.E.D. and incandescent. You'll only need, as shown, two 276-1143 Diodes and one 220 ohm resistor.
I use it on my bikes front blinker/run lights to dim the run side for night or run them on bright for DRL's ,works great!

My rear lights all use this circuit as they are all two wire units including the
under fender taillight. Forgive the alignment, not bolted up yet.
To clarify, my lights are all two wire with a third for the amber blinker

I have an Avalanche pick-up with an Escalade center mount brake light mod, that also has the circuit, it operates as a full time running light and brake light.
All of my bikes/vehicles are L.E.D. and run the Back-off flasher too.
I probably have another, a variation of this circuit, Ill find and post it tomorrow.
BrakeRun.jpg
20200926_141003.jpg20190514_220437.jpg20190419_183743.jpg20190419_183743.jpgIMAG0237.jpgIMAG0238.jpg20190514_220437.jpg

Please forgive me for the double, triple post.
I tried to correct and just kept getting worse LOL.

Chug4life here goes a schematic for the circuit I tried to describe for you.
Also there are a few vendors like Radiantz.com that sell this already made up for about 30 bucks.
I got or get my diodes and resistors from a computer store here in Denver called Microcenter, they bought up Radio Shacks inventory.
Buying the components from them or online, it only costs a few bucks and some solder time to make up a circuit.
Anyway I think this is a good way to go for what your trying to do.

Gent
dual_circuit_element.jpg

That.

You're not even allowed to have amber reflectors on a car/bike here in Georgia unless they're on the sides or front. Even the license plate reflectors are red.

bear in mind that replacing filament bulb indicator lamps with LEDs may stop them working or flash at the wrong rate; not the end of the world since a LED indicator relay can be used to solve that but that loses the self-cancelling feature. (the instrument lamp may need rewiring)

Thanks for all the tips and ideas, no to led because i cant keep factory housings. Once uts done i will post up pics

We have red bulbs to use in our aluminum signal housings for the customers who want to run the extra wires (tie into the blue wire that also runs to the taillight). Simple to add. We have the housings in various colors (only plain is pictured but black and chrome is available too). The smoke or clear lens will work with the red bulb.

Attachments

• IMG_20150615_153941318.jpg
    IMG_20150615_153941318.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200502_115620.jpg
    IMG_20200502_115620.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Standard Signals.jpg
    Standard Signals.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for all the tips and ideas, no to led because i cant keep factory housings. Once uts done i will post up pics
I never thought about using same turn signal for 3-wire bulbs instead of 2-wire. I would like to se pics if you can. I replaced gazillion OEM turn signals with cheap aftermarket from ebay, never had a problem.
I paid $5:

Back