Rear tire change question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I was going to have my guy mount my new rear tire on my 86 Vmax but he hasn't been able to fit me in. My question is, will the rear tire come off the bike just sitting on the center stand or do I need to get the bike up higher. Also what else needs to come off to get that wheel out of there?

Center stand is fine, you will need to remove the brake caliper and just move the caliper stay arm up, no need to remove that. The rim will pull off to the right side of the bike, just keep in mind the stuff that comes off too and which order it goes in, the washer, caliper bracket, etc. Like on my bike, I have to remove the license plate in order to get my tire off!

Do I have to separate the differential from the drive shaft or will all that stay together and on the bike? I can't find a video anywhere of a vmax rear wheel removal.

As a suggestion, take a cellphone pic of each side of the axle. That will help you to get the pieces back where they belong.

Look at the right side swingarm-see that it has a bit of a 'cutout' angle to the inside of the collar for the axle? That makes it easy to slide-in the washer/spacer when you start the axle shaft in from the right side, and have to align the spacer so the axle can slide through it.

Don't force anything on the reassembly. If it won't slip together (axle fully-inserted) with only a light tapping on the right end of the axle using a ball pein hammer, you need to check the alignment of whatever is where the end of the axle is hanging-up.

Be sure the splines of the wheel drive are well greased. Holding the wheel/tire top and bottom as you try to seat it onto the pumpkin and move the wheel/tire to the left should help to get the splines aligned. A bit of forward and back movement (think of a wheel/tire as a clock face, and you're going forward or backward in 'time') as you feel the splines touch, you should be able to get the wheel to slide into the splines. Again, no real extra force is needed, the splines should mesh without any hammering.

Don't forget to tighten the hex bolt on the right side of the swingarm which holds the axle. I usually use a hitch pin for the cotter pin function.

Latest posts

Back