Rear tire chirps on deceleration

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friends don't let friends ride-on Kendas. Try Shinkos for a lower-price point with traction. Did you see that deal on-here, a front & rear for $133?

Also, unsettling the bike's dynamic attitude by chopping the throttle like you describe isn't anything which you want to-do, regularly. Consider taking the MSF 'Better Biking' course, that's what it used-to be called. It's for a rider with time under his belt, to learn more about how to use available traction, the use of countersteering, emergency braking, etc.

In riding there are several groups of people. One is the show-off, who has to behave like an idiot because they crave attention, "look-at me!" They cut-between rows of cars, even at-speed, they never ride at or below the speed limit, they weave in and out of a column of traffic, etc. I'd generally refer to them as 'accidents waiting to happen.'

The rider who leaves room between his bike and the vehicle in-front of him, and who watches his mirrors, stopped at a light/traffic control device; who gaps himself in traffic, who allows the aggressive vehicle operators to go by, or who moves-away from them; a person who travels with the flow of traffic, and who isn't constantly grabbing a fistful of throttle or brake, is someone who isn't likely to be surprised by ending-up sliding across the road sans bike, wondering, "how did I get here?"

Practice smooth riding inputs to the throttle and the brakes, choose lines which avoid the oil-soaked pavement at intersections, check your mirrors constantly, scan farther down the road, to notice other drivers' behaviors, all those people suddenly braking and changing lanes may be avoiding a piece of furniture which fell-off someone's vehicle, or a carcass of an exploded truck tire, lying in the road.

It doesn't take much to upset our rides, after-all, they're inherently-unstable. They fall-over if you stop and don't support the stationary bike. Hit a patch of sand, gravel, anti-freeze, oil, coolant, ice, or any-other traction-eliminator, and you could be that guy sliding-across the pavement, sans bike.

Reg Pridmore was a very-successful rider, he won championships in Superbike, and he operates the CLASS riding school. Here's a great example of what the careful rider gets to witness:

Very solid advice, thank you sir.

but literally everyone on here talks about "ringing the neck of the vmax" popping wheelies and all kinds of aggressive riding. So I am not trying to impress anyone, just another guy on a forum.
Not me, I am the worst rider on here, well maybe apart from the one who drove into a police car, ;)

I certainly did not think you were here to impress.

The only thing I can add is way way back when I got into this motorcycle thing, I was told or read that snapping off the throttle at high revs is more likely than revving to cause the engine to let go due to the high stresses imposed.

There shouldn't be a need to do that other than in an emergency so is really down to tiding style.

I don’t think anybody buys a Vmax and intends to baby it. But just like any other mean spirited Motorcycle, it commands respect. It has its quirks. You need to learn those quirks. You need to avoid them if you don’t want to end up a statistic.

I believe we’re being a little harsh on the ape here, and I would venture to say that he hasn’t been doing anything with his motorcycle that the rest of us haven’t done once or twice… either by accident or on purpose.

I’m not going to go into detail, but I promise you I have done some very stupid things on motorcycles. Of course 50ish years is a lot of time to get stupid things done. The trick is to learn from them. Quickly. And avoid the fatal stupid things that are within your control.

for what reason do you feel you need to abruptly shut the throttle at high revs

for what reason do you feel you need to abruptly shut the throttle at high revs
Please take the time to read from the beginning of the post, as I explained it was a one-time learned mistake. Some of you guys make it sound like a daily riding habit for me like its some Democrat VS Republican debate lol. I've owned several motorcycles and rode MX and motorcycle's before I even had a learner's permit.
I currently have a zx10r that would toss any gen 1 vmax's salad no offense boys. & Knock on wood I've never wrecked a motorcycle. I'm a typical rider that pushes the envelope a little bit, but I have a wife and a son to come home to so nothing too imbibe like lol.

I have read it but the way you ask about it makes it sound like it is a regular thing with your riding, you say you ride many other bikes so if it's a one time thing your own instincts should tell you that you got it a bit wrong and there wouldn't be a need to ask about it, if I for example miss a gear and the revs shoot up I know I did something wrong and try to do better next time

Not trying to be rude in return, but literally everyone on here talks about "ringing the neck of the vmax" popping wheelies and all kinds of aggressive riding.

'Literally everyone'?

That is a gross over statement and, IMO, is an unfair misrepresentation of the majority of those who post here.
Whist such comments do occur it is my perception that it is those asking questions about a problem (possibly self induced because of the neck ringing) rather than those trying to offer advice.

Not trying to be rude in return, but literally everyone on here talks about "ringing the neck of the vmax"
No, they don't.

I don't think you know what the word "literally" means.

This is the part where you just stop. Every single time you post you make yourself look more and more ridiculous.

I perceived you to look a little discredited, from your original post stating "Oh my beloved 2007 purchased new in 2007 has never done that EVER! That's a total mechanical issue or you"

Shortly after several other people with valid explanations such as, MaxMidnight & Fire-medic took the time to explain the issue in great detail.
Through looking at various other posts, I've seen you on here trolling for years, you have given a bit of solid advice to people over the years. However, one would assume that you would know more after 13 years of ownership. I've owned mine for a month now. Every bike is different with a learning curve, and I'm not claiming to be the "god of motorcycle's" But as someone else stated, people don't buy a Vmax to ride it like it's a slow harley.

Agreed.

Give the guy a break.

Nothing wrong with your bike.
A sticky tire would be less prone to break loose but more prone to break parts.
Max Midnight gave you the best advise. Better throttle control or clutch control can help eliminate this.

Exactly. Shinkos tourmasters are great tires on a Gen 1. When I first did the DD clutch mod, I was concerned about breaking parts, so I stocked up on drive shafts.....just in case. I THINK I have 4 still sitting on the shelf (Never had to replace one). So enjoy the bike......remember, the Gen 1 was designed in the 80's, the handling was designed in the 80's, and the stopping was designed in the 80's.

To me the Gen 1 in stock form, is the motorcycle equivalent of a 70 Hemi Cuda, with manual steering, and manual drum brakes.

Exactly. Shinkos tourmasters are great tires on a Gen 1. When I first did the DD clutch mod, I was concerned about breaking parts, so I stocked up on drive shafts.....just in case. I THINK I have 4 still sitting on the shelf (Never had to replace one). So enjoy the bike......remember, the Gen 1 was designed in the 80's, the handling was designed in the 80's, and the stopping was designed in the 80's.

To me the Gen 1 in stock form, is the motorcycle equivalent of a 70 Hemi Cuda, with manual steering, and manual drum brakes.
Well said sir. Thanks

I have NEVER had this happen...... not with any of my more powerful bikes, either—— not the 900rk, the 700x’s, Fazer 700, gt750m, vl1500, BigDog, OR the vmaxes.

dfox

I would like to take the time to say sorry for getting a little bit Snappy on a few replies, I feel like my original post was taken a little bit out of context a couple times and that's fine. However, I am a pretty easy-going guy that just loves motorcycles like the rest of you.

But this is not the place to be combative with people like Twitter or something. Thank you for all the comments good and bad, I do like the wealth of knowledge on this forum and do plan on becoming a supporting member at some point. That being said, better get used to me and let's learn to co-exist LOL. Again sorry for sounding stupid or immature to anyone I offended. And let me reintroduce myself: Hi I'm ScaldedApe@04😁

I have NEVER had this happen...... not with any of my more powerful bikes, either—— not the 900rk, the 700x’s, Fazer 700, gt750m, vl1500, BigDog, OR the vmaxes.

dfox
I'm not sure I would consider most of them "more powerful" bikes lol. Great bikes but not more umph.

Latest posts

Back