Rear Tire Spacer Problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vladthedog

Reaction score
So, got the rear tire swapped out (rode over a nail!!!), but I pulled it myself to save a few bucks. Have done it once or twice before. When I was putting things back, I think I lost a spacer. I've looked all over my garage though, and cannot find anything. This is what I have.

From the right, I have the spacer that goes between the frame and the caliper bracket. I have the stepped spacer that goes between the bracket and the tire. On the left side, I believe I'm missing the spacer in between the tire and the drive shaft housing. I have the nut and washer that goes on the outside. I can't for the life of me remember what it looks like (when I pulled the tire, I thought I heard something drop, but after looking for a little while, I assumed I bumped a tool or something). I checked inside the drive shaft area and I don't have anything loose that would come out, and nothing is on the tire that easily comes loose. Did I loose something or have I gone crazy? When I started putting things back together, it seemed "loose" so I am fairly certain the spacer has gone missing. But before I completely tear apart the garage, thought I would confirm.

Thanks, but I was looking at that already, and since it's an exploded diagram, I got even more confused :)

Oh boy! Lol. Try the manual yet? Info is pretty sparse, but I believe it's only because there are very few parts involved in removing/installing the rear wheel. If memory serves it should just be the main nut, and the brake bracket spacer. Maybe a flat washer under the main axle nut (I'll look tomorrow on mine and check if nobody confirms before then)

The fun starts on page 245
https://www.scribd.com/doc/7256266/Yamaha-v-MAX-Service-Manual

Here you go! Should clear up any worries you have, and if you did lose a part....well, now you have the part number.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/sear...007/V-MAX+CA+-+VMX12W1C/REAR+WHEEL/parts.html

Using the diagram above:
On the brake side what should come off when removing wheel is parts numbered 15 (stepped washer), 19 (axle shaft), and 22 (flat washer between swingarm/brake arm). Brake arm/ caliper gets moved/ hung from a bungee out of the way. Brake disc remains mounted along with the bearing and 2 spacers behind the circlip.
On the drive side, only 21 (axle nut) and 20 (washer) is removed. All other parts 5, 4, 8, 14,11, 9, 10 (6 ea.), 12 and 13 remain on tire.
I clean off the old grease (as best I can with a paper shop towel) and apply fresh grease on all mating surfaces when reinstalling the tire. Make sure to check air pressure is correct, my dealer either has it over or under inflated normally.

No spacer on the left side.

On the right side there are 2.
One with a flange that fits tightly in the oil seal and rides against the wheel bearing.

Then the caliper bracket

Then there is a washer.

Technically, the washer can be omitted pending you don't run out of thread when tightening the axle nut.

No spacer on the left side.

On the right side there are 2.
One with a flange that fits tightly in the oil seal and rides against the wheel bearing.

Then the caliper bracket

Then there is a washer.

Technically, the washer can be omitted pending you don't run out of thread when tightening the axle nut.
You can avoid that by backing of the axle a little bit then pinch it and then torque the 27mm nut to compress the whole assembly.

Back