Rear tire with a high speed rating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2017VMax

Reaction score
I often see people talk about traction and wear. But I like to go fast in a straight line. What's a good tire that is safe at the 180 mark? Looks like the
Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra are only rated for 135 in the rear. And Shinko are 149+. Seem both front tires have higher speed ratings.

You'll want a Y rated tire, but I can't find any for sale. ZR rated would likely be your best bet for occasional speeds hitting 180. Check the Hayabusa forums for those high speed tire recommendations.

I didn’t think the Gen 2 could go 180mph, there’s no where around me I can really open mine up. Either driveways or cars or law enforcement always messing up my fun. I need an old airport or something like that.

Keep in mind the speed rating is for sustained speed of 1 hour. You can run an H tire up above that for a short burst (we've had one over 200 mph on the dyno). Your gen 2 will peak out around 170ish (not 180).

Wow that means my 01 with a XJ 900Commander 3 combo 3.5 lbs lighter and my T Cat/Commander 3 combo also 3.5 lbs lighter is ready for my VentureGears/VMX1200NC swingarm Combo and Salt Flats eh?

Latest posts

Back