Rear Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patate657

Brownsville, tx
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the biggest tire size, on the stock rim, can go on the rear on a Gen 1? (Actually 1985)

Thank You

Phil

I am guessing that question has been asked at least 1,000 times. Short answer a 150. Long answer, use the search engine and look at the numerous methods by which folks have fitted larger tires and/or wheels.

Hah, a piece of fresh meat! (sharks circling)

My advice: the #1 best thing you can do to your bike to make it better, is to fit a new rear wheel, sized to accept either a 17" or 18" radial tire. If you run radials, run them both. Do not mix radials and bias-ply tires. Use the 'advanced search' and look for radial tire information. If you are in the habit of running your bike >70 mph, investigate the benefits of radials. At a minimum, you need to buy a replacement rear wheel. The front wheel can accept a narrow radial tire, though its width is not optimal for handling. A 3-1/2" width wheel is needed in the front for using a 17" or an 18" wheel/tire combo, to best advantage.

Hah, a piece of fresh meat! (sharks circling)

My advice: the #1 best thing you can do to your bike to make it better, is to fit a new rear wheel, sized to accept either a 17" or 18" radial tire. If you run radials, run them both. Do not mix radials and bias-ply tires. Use the 'advanced search' and look for radial tire information. If you are in the habit of running your bike >70 mph, investigate the benefits of radials. At a minimum, you need to buy a replacement rear wheel. The front wheel can accept a narrow radial tire, though its width is not optimal for handling. A 3-1/2" width wheel is needed in the front for using a 17" or an 18" wheel/tire combo, to best advantage.
Thank you. I will keep this info in mind.
As of right now I have already ordered a 120/90-18 Shinko 777 Front Tire and was thinking about a Shinko 777 170/80-15. Hopefully these will work good together. I don't race and very rarely go over 100 miles an hour. Don't go far. My Big Kardashian can't take the miles anymore. Just like my car, I like running through the gears... :) Doing the crazy OLE' FART THING!'

I don’t know what I was thinking. I thought with the stock set up, 150 was it. I think I’m getting my motorcycles mixed up.

I don’t know what I was thinking. I thought with the stock set up, 150 was it. I think I’m getting my motorcycles mixed up.
There you go thinking again! Gets me in trouble, every time!

A 180 might fit, if it's close-enough to touch the swingarm, do the axle washer swap to inside the space between the final drive case and the wheel splines. That should get you the clearance you need.

That shinko combo fits and runs pretty good when I had em and looks great also.
You do need to do the washer swap as medic said....a bit tight.
The shinkos are pretty sticky and handle very well , even cornering and at mach speed also. You wont get much miles out of them, very soft rubber, and about halfway through they get pretty slick and hard.
But for the price you just have to mount and balance twice.
I have a 85 also.

That shinko combo fits and runs pretty good when I had em and looks great also.
You do need to do the washer swap as medic said....a bit tight.
The shinkos are pretty sticky and handle very well , even cornering and at mach speed also. You wont get much miles out of them, very soft rubber, and about halfway through they get pretty slick and hard.
But for the price you just have to mount and balance twice.
I have a 85 also.
I just got the 120/90-18 today and I went ahead and ordered the Shinko 777 Rear Tire (170/80-15 Reinforced). I was trying to see on my 1989 Vmax project what tires it had but if I remember right they were OEM sizes.

I went with the Shinkos myself last tire change, I really like them, soft and grippy. I’ve had them for close to 2 seasons but they were really inexpensive so I I need to swap them out it’s no big deal. I also mount my own which isn’t really a bad job with the right tire spoons. Not sure if your going that route or taking them in. For me the time that it takes a place to do it is so slow compared to just tackling the project. Are you going to tackle this project or take it in? Good luck.

I went with the Shinkos myself last tire change, I really like them, soft and grippy. I’ve had them for close to 2 seasons but they were really inexpensive so I I need to swap them out it’s no big deal. I also mount my own which isn’t really a bad job with the right tire spoons. Not sure if your going that route or taking them in. For me the time that it takes a place to do it is so slow compared to just tackling the project. Are you going to tackle this project or take it in? Good luck.
I don't have the patience or the will to try again. We have a little bike shop that's charging me $25 for the front and it'll be the same for the back. I like the guy and gives him work. I pull it off the bike and strip of the Rotors and voila. I had to take it off anyway to paint the rim. If I like the look I'll probably upgrade to a wider wheel and have it Powder coated. Of course that's a big maybe. Got 3 projects going.

1st I'll coat them with an Adhesive Promoter. Then PJ1 Engine Paint Satin Black. Waiting for the front wheel to get back so I can see what damage has been done to it before I clear coat it with Dupli-Color Clear. But non-Gloss also. Usually I'll use a Dupli-Color Engine flat Black, but wanted to try this PJ1. When I used the engine paints on my 89, it held up surprisingly well.
DSC09856.JPGDSC09854.JPGDSC09855.JPG

Dumb question, do you get the rim back before you have the tire installed and paint it or wait and tape it off? I’m the worst painter with no experience so I appreciate your patience.

Dumb question, do you get the rim back before you have the tire installed and paint it or wait and tape it off? I’m the worst painter with no experience so I appreciate your patience.
I did tape off the rear with the tire I have on it now. When the new rear tire comes in, I'll have him mount it and look at correcting scuffs after The front rim I had him remove the old tire and took it home to paint while I waited for the new tire to come in. Brought him the new tire and the painted rim yesterday.

Sorry to hi-Jack. Anyone know where to get the wire wheels used in CycleWorld (I think) “into the 9’s”.. Kosman I think made a one off rear to mount a slick and I’ve emailed them and got nothing. I’d really like to switch to a spoke rim if I could ever find a way to do it. Maybe someone knows. Sorry again for the hi-Jack

do you think the engine paints will be suitable for the wheels as they are usually meant to be cured by heat cycling for best results

do you think the engine paints will be suitable for the wheels as they are usually meant to be cured by heat cycling for best results
Your way is the correct way to do it. I agree. I do let it settle for a few days in the sun. If you want something baked cheap down here, we lay it out in the sun for a few days. Not even summer yet and it got to 97 yesterday. The clear coat is also engine heat paint. I didn't have problems with 1989's wheels. Held up ok , but to be fair. I'm not a one unit dedicated driver. I have other rides.

Latest posts

Back