Rear Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget to add your VMax model below/after Da Ole' Guy's message, so when we read your posts, we know what bike year you have. Something cool like, "Da First Year" is my-ride!

While a rattle-can is cheaper than powdercoat, I think the powdercoat will stay better-looking, longer. I think I paid $100 apiece on the last sportbike wheels I had done.

Last edited:
Don't forget to add your VMax model below/after Da Ole' Guy's message, so when we read your posts, we know what bike year you have. Something cool like, "Da First Year" is my-ride!

While a rattle-can is cheaper than powdercoat, I think the powdercoat will stay better-looking, longer. I think I paid $100 apiece on the last sportbike wheels I had done.
I agree. But I don't want to spend $100 + on colors I may not like. This is a way for me to test colors before coating up-graded expensive rims.
Once I finish my 1985 project, I'll change my Avatar. Don't want it to be with a 1/2 finished project.

Last edited:
Just came back from a ride. Trying out the new 120/90-18 I had put on the front wheel. The ride is much better. Steering seemed to want to fall to the left and right with the 110/90-18 that was on it. Now I could let go and no problem. The fit and look is great to.

I know, I know. The Decal say 1700. Sent by mistake. Used them anyway. Wishful thinking... :p

Attachments

• DSC09873.JPG
    DSC09873.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 27
I like it, how much clearance is there between the mudguard and tyre, not sure if it does happen but is there enough room for any deformation of the tyre at speed if it does

I like it, how much clearance is there between the mudguard and tyre, not sure if it does happen but is there enough room for any deformation of the tyre at speed if it does
There is more clearance at the mud guard than at the front. Very little at the front and able to pass my finger in the back.

Attachments

• xxxx (2).JPG
    xxxx (2).JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 5
  • xxxx (3).JPG
    xxxx (3).JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 5
Can someone tell me what the biggest tire size, on the stock rim, can go on the rear on a Gen 1? (Actually 1985)

Thank You

Phil
I've seen a 180 Metzler Marathon on a stock wheel before. Very tight fit and not the correct wheel width for a 180. Like the 120 up front on a stock wheel, it can go on, but doesn't fit correctly. It bulges too much for my liking.

I've seen a 180 Metzler Marathon on a stock wheel before. Very tight fit and not the correct wheel width for a 180. Like the 120 up front on a stock wheel, it can go on, but doesn't fit correctly. It bulges too much for my liking.
Thank You

I run a 180/70 -15 Shinko 230 Tourmaster on the rear, but I don't run a fender. No shims or mods to the stock rim or swingarm.

I used to have a Michelin pilot 4 180 on a Taylormade rim on my gen 1. It had zero clearance against the swing arm but never scraped and worked great.

Got my rear Shinko 180 delivered. Now I'm wondering what settings you guys have on your suspension front and rear for single rider. I'm 6' and about 240lbs.

There is not much adjustment you can do on the gen 1. I went with progressive springs up front, no air and 2 inch drop. And progressive shocks in rear, 1 inch drop with dual adjustment s......spring rate and damping.
I'm 215.....and on a doover only drop 1 up front. If you like to carve a little, dont drop the back, you'll start rubbing.
Just my opinion.

There is not much adjustment you can do on the gen 1. I went with progressive springs up front, no air and 2 inch drop. And progressive shocks in rear, 1 inch drop with dual adjustment s......spring rate and damping.
I'm 215.....and on a doover only drop 1 up front. If you like to carve a little, dont drop the back, you'll start rubbing.
Just my opinion.
Thank you. I'll probably leave the bike with OEM suspension I got a hand on some replacement parts off a 2001 and will be changing out the complete exhaust and possible the rear shocks. I like the black looking springs. Not worried to much on the adjustments. I'll just try different settings. I ride alone, so shouldn't be much difference.

Thank you. I will keep this info in mind.
As of right now I have already ordered a 120/90-18 Shinko 777 Front Tire and was thinking about a Shinko 777 170/80-15. Hopefully these will work good together. I don't race and very rarely go over 100 miles an hour. Don't go far. My Big Kardashian can't take the miles anymore. Just like my car, I like running through the gears... :) Doing the crazy OLE' FART THING!'

How did the Shinko 777 170/80 rear tire fit? (assuming you got it on)

How did the Shinko 777 170/80 rear tire fit? (assuming you got it on)
Got it on. Could not pass my finger on the left between the swing arm and tire but could on the right side. It's okay.
Cratered my license plate. Told my friends got it that way from doing wheelies. They look at me funny, laugh and flipped me off. Anyway gonna have to do some after marketing on the tail light setup.
DSC09988.JPGDSC09946.JPG

Latest posts

Back