Rear top shock Mount

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
Does anyone know how deep the top rear shock mount is? I guess because my rear setup was widened the actual mounting point cracked. I guess I'll get it welded but was curious how far the threads go into the frame or is it just the tit that sticks out? Anyone's advice is appreciated. Thanks

When I widened mine I drilled trough an got a longer bolt with a nut in the end. The stock bolt is a flimsy M8 and I went M10 to prevent that and the twisting caused by the extra leverage

Looks like I'm gonna do the same thing Fred. Hard to believe they have such a small bolt (8mm) when you consider the weight of the bike. Look at a 250lb dirt bike sometime and see they use one about 3-4 times thicker. Thanks for the input, I think I'll make them all a bit more Heavy Duty.

The bolt doesn't have to work too hard as all the support is done with the shank of the insert that is welded into the frame. A full length heaby duty bolt will not hurt to do at all.

Sean, that's exactly the issue. The "shank" actually is cracking on the bottom from the upward pressure so my buddy thinks he can arc weld it stronger and since the threads are getting kinda stripped I thought I may tap it to 10mm do you think that extrusion or shank can take that much without losing strength from making it thinner or should I be ok doing that?

Yes, you are just replacing material with different material. You want the hole to be a snug fit though and not too sloppy for the bolt (which I would drill all the way through and either weld a nut on the back side or hand install from the back side (welded on would be easier to remove the bolt in and out easier).

Would it help if the spacer needed for your setup was welded on too?

That actually is a good idea Brian, and if I stay with the spacers I probably will do that but I may be putting a different style shock which will allow me to bring the shocks in closer which I saw on Scott Mellors bike. Don't know if you got to meet him at thunder but his is the red bike with the outta this world light setup on it. He even sent me pics of his brackets he said Paul Crivitello(MadMax inc) made for him which move the mounting points. But I really like your idea too and will discuss it with the welder when he comes over hopefully tonight. Thanks buddy, and again Happy Birthday Bro!

I'm against modding frames if not needed. If you make a solid bushing of about 25mm OD should be fine. The strongest part is the solid frame bar not the tapped strut. My spacer was a kind of a sleeve over the strut and the out tip had the same OD as the strut if you know what I mean

Back