• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Rear wheel for cheap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darksunshade

Reaction score
Is there a way to get a rear wheel that will take a radial for under $500?

anyone selling a used one they don't want or is able to give me directions on how to go about making one like getting a gsxr wheel then having the center welded. when i looked around its pretty expensive for those parts all around $1k+

I've got an fjr wheel you could work on... $250 with a 190/50/17. It needs the hub moved to get it centered in the frame.

I've got an fjr wheel you could work on... $250 with a 190/50/17. It needs the hub moved to get it centered in the frame.
Hi there, thank you for the response. Im very interested in that fjr wheel, how do i move the hub? go to a machining place then have them move it weld it back?

That might work. It's offset quite a bit to the right. It might be easier to have the swingarm offset. I have a machined brake caliper arm that came with it. Those two parts would show the shop what they'd need to do. I loosen the pumpkin to put the wheel on.
1d595de38d285fbf20f2d57d3dd464d3.jpg

They come up occasionally, but at that price they're not always in great shape. Mine looks great.

Yes, I do have weld-up 17" wheels available, they're made to order. A common size is 17" X 5-1/2" and it takes about a month to get in-line at my machinist's for him to deliver one. $650 and a core rear VMax wheel for the shaft drive. I have some rear wheels for cores if you want to keep your stock wheel should you choose to sell your bike, and to be able to return it to stock.

That's your stock VMax wheel on the left. I don't have them made pretty, just durable and strong.

Attachments

• Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_01.jpg
    Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_01.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 69
  • Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_02.JPG
    Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_02.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 73
The FJR is WAY offset so not a practical way to go AND it steers like ass. One way super easy and the other way it's almost like you have to go up before you can go over.

Yes, it does suck. I wish I'd really looked at it before I grabbed the bike it was on. We're working out a deal for my kosman. Get that front ready so he'll have a matching set.

I love my Kosman wheels. It took some patients but I ended up getting a matching front after riding with just the rear for a while. I got mine for $500 right here on the forum. But powder coating and polishing get the value up quick. I'd jump on the deal offered by Fire Medic if I were looking. It's personal preference, but I'm sold on 17" wheels.
Steve-o

The 17" rear wheel is a weld-up, and is much less-expensive than the bolt-up 18" rear, but the 18" will put your tire size in the rear much-closer to the height of a stock wheel/tire. My machinist can also make a widened front so your 'look' is like a stock wheel, as-much as possible. Then you can run 17" front & rear, for use of sportbike tires. The change in handling is very much an improvement.

The first two are the 18" bolt-up, the third is the weld-up 17". The fourth is the weld-up width measurement between the inner wheel/tire beads. It's 5-1/2". PM me for more info.

I love my Kosman wheels. It took some patients but I ended up getting a matching front after riding with just the rear for a while. I got mine for $500 right here on the forum. But powder coating and polishing get the value up quick. I'd jump on the deal offered by Fire Medic if I were looking. It's personal preference, but I'm sold on 17" wheels.
Steve-o

Attachments

• 18 inch 5-one-half W VMax wheel.01.JPG
    18 inch 5-one-half W VMax wheel.01.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 18 inch 5-one-half W VMax wheel.02.JPG
    18 inch 5-one-half W VMax wheel.02.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 36
  • VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 005.jpg
    VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 005.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 39
  • VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 002.jpg