Rear wheel lift

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max_Power

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've looked at a couple threads on the forum regarding this but haven't found a definite answer yet for my case.

I'm just trying to get the rear wheel off myself but it's proving harder that I thought.

Lots have said the wide pitbulls will work, but even pitbulls website says only the gen2 is supported, and my local shop thinks I'm out of luck for a pitbull too.

And I've read that an atv/bike lift will work, but my 4-2-1 pipes run right under the frame (which is also why I have no center stand), so I assume its not a good idea to lift 600lbs with it.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious!

Any advice?

You can tilt the bike onto the side stand until the wheel is off the ground, then support it with a stand under the right side frame tube, rear foot peg mount or swing arm. It's quite easy if you sit on the floor to the right of the rear wheel, pushing away with your left hand while positioning the stand with your right hand. Small jack stands work best. Even a short block of 4x4 wood is good.

The UFO system I have was plenty sturdy to lift the bike with an ATV stand.

But it seemed kind of wobbly due to contact points being so close together.

I started using a floor jack on the old center stand tabs to lift the bike now

Combined with jack stands under the front frame sliders which I would move up a little at a time as I jacked the bike keeping close contact so it did not get away from me
I do not have the frame sliders anymore since adding a belly pan.

When I got rid of the frame sliders I started using my foot pegs which are non folding aftermarket rear sets.

Not sure what I would do if not for the foot pegs other than using a winch and strap on the frame to lift the whole bike from the garage overhead beams.

As long as you have a good method to secure the front wheel, like a 2"x4" homemade wheel chock screwed to a 3/4" plywood base, use a small bottle jack (2 -3 ton) and a 2"x2" across the swingarm tubes....just in front of the rear tire. The right side will need a 3/8"± leveling shim as the driveshaft side is a larger diameter.

Use a large enough piece of plywood and add hookeyes to the outside front corners for ratchet straps....(kind of like a lift table that doesn't lift).

lrg-705-drunkantics01428.jpg

You can try this if the above don't work.

Say BB, that's a pretty slick device....never saw that before. Wonder where the pins would fit on a VMax?
I was thinking about that too BD, and I came up with needing to drill hole in the rear footpeg/ exhaust hanger bracket in the triangular shaped area. They provide a shaped adapter that would fit into the drilled hole which then the stand could be clamped into to lift the bike. It should be in a strong area of the frame and far enough behind the balancing point to lift just the rear tire and allow you to completely remove the wheel/ swingarm/ etc.. It was just a quick thought though, probably something better could be devised?

Just got off the phone with abba and even though they use a vmax on the home page they dont make a lift for it. :confused2:

I would visit the scrap yard & get a longer/wider piece of metal to bolt that to, if I had one. Especially if you are putting any side-load on the bike, that would prevent any side-slip, or outright toppling-off the lift.

I use a 15.5" lift small floor jack, I also have a mcy jack like the one Sears sells, the one w/casters & the non-adjustable parallel rubber-faced arms/supports. For yanking the engine, I use a 3-ton big floor jack, the one w/the rotating cradle. That works very well, it allows me to remove/replace the engine, alone.

My acquaintance who changes tires all-day at the independent mcy shop uses a hydraulic/pneumatic platform lift, and a small scissor jack he usually places by a footpeg mount to lift the bike, after he cinches the front of the bike w/tiedowns. I've seen him do everything from dirtbikes to Harley dressers and Gold-Wings.

I got one of these a couple weeks ago.....thought I might be taking a chance considering the price is so low but I was pleasantly surprised, it's a heavy duty tool that is more than capable of doing it's job. Very sturdy, I couldn't be more pleased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181281642372?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Latest posts

Back