Reasonably priced tire mounting and balancing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for a shop that doesn't charge and arm and a leg for this service. Bay4 motorsports in Tewksbury MA was by far the highest. Was quoted 1 1/2 hours at $78 an hour for each. Several others ranged from $54-$90 each. I called Naults Windham Honda in southern NH and was told $35 each. Dropped it off at 3:15 and was done by 3:50. Great service and good price. Hopefully this saves someone all the time I spent searching. If I felt more confident I would have tried it myself

I started doing my own a few years ago because most shops dinged my wheels up and were more of a rush to grab my hard earned than do a decent job. Weight all over the wheel looks like hell.

Last edited:
I'd like to try changing my tires myself. Can you list some of the tools I need to have so I can prepare (any excuse to by more is tools ok with me)

I'd like to try changing my tires myself. Can you list some of the tools I need to have so I can prepare (any excuse to by more is tools ok with me)

Sure,you need a compressor,hose and air chuck, tire gage you most likely have already. 3 tire irons, rim protectors-4 is good because you'll wreck one or two, a truing/balancing stand, some weights and a bead breaker. Some bead lube is needed. Dish soap works, I use WD-40. I've been using the cheap HF bead breaker with success. If you use dyna beads, you can skip the weights. I like to always find the true heavy spot on a wheel with the rotor on,and my case rotor adapters. It's not always the valve stem. I always use new, good billet valve stems, they're worth the price for the piece of mind.
Danny made his own bead breaker with a couple of two by 4's.
I know a lot of guys do their own tire changing and will most likely chime in. Motion Pro sells decent tire irons. HF balancing stands are decent. A dial indicator comes in handy for checking wheels for run-out.
Steve-o

I'll still be coming down that way soon. Getting my sticker today, then off to the beach. I bought dp pads for the Galfer rotors, any break in procedure for them? The rotor looks pretty sweet on the rear. Haven't bought pads or had the front tire mounted yet. Probably have the rotors on tonight and drop the tire off tomorrow. The front tire on now is good enough to pass. This bike is addictive

I'd recommend HH+ pads for the front when you need them.
I use EBC HH+ pads front and rear and they stop the bike a lot better than the stock organic pads did.
I'm sure the DP HH+ pads would work well too if you want to stay with DP.

Back