Rebuild or engine swap?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@one2dmax , Thanks for that share, what a collection you have! For now I am not tearing into the block any further as I want to get the swap motor running and check it out.

The issues I had with the 2003 engine was the cross member frame support was in the way of the spin on oil filter. I am sure that was not the issue with the 2003 frame.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ojDNTx] 334299616_576707474506948_6668419346246638015_n by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]

I just ground down the tube enough to clear. I then added solid steel inside the tube and welded that in place and ground it down. It is not the best looking but it works. You can only see it at eye level or when you change the oil filter. I am good with it.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ojyZb3] Filter 2 by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]

Something is seriously wrong with your parts or their locations. Seeing the front crosstube like that is nowhere close to how it is supposed to be. I'm sure you know that. How bout you level the bike and measure the frame for being straight. Or see if your engine is later model and frame is early model.

The marks on your pistons are as severe as possible just prior to engine explosion.

When the engine went from a cartridge to a spin-on oil filter, the cross-brace gained a semi-circle. Early one is straight. You can swap the early one (straight brace) for the later, curved one.

FireMedic is on point. Timbox, your crossbrace looks like it wont have a chance. I'm not talking about a crash, more like a hard curve on the road while riding hard where that thing cracks and your bike goes into death wobble. I've been welding with all possible equipment for over 30 years and I'm sorry to say but your crossbrace is shit.

Hang on guys, the cross member is now solid in the middle. I modded it but the tube was hollow. It is no longer hollow in the middle and solid steel. So it will hold. I will find a new oval shaped on on ebay.

The great news is the bike runs well. I have it all back together minus the air box and filter. She runs well, but as you all know without good air box back pressure she will not run they way she should.

No leaks from the bike and that makes me supper happy. Let the seller on ebay know the motor is good and I am very happy with it. Just have to torque the swing arm nuts and then find out why my temp gauge is not working. I could have missed that connection.

Bike sounds great with the 4 into 1, wow this will be a fun bike to have in the stable. Lots more cleaning and she needs new tires before riding season. I also have to take care of the paper work yet. Wanted to make sure she was going to be a road worthy bike before I spend the extra money on the paper work.

Thanks again for all the information, I would buy another broken Vmax and do a engine swap again knowing what I know now. With the right steps it was not that bad at all.

You need a 96-07 Cross brace. I have them if you don't have any luck on ebay and want to replace it though I am sure it would hold for no more stress then it will see.

If you would report back on if second gear works or not.

I'd wait for that before I blew my warranty with the seller.

Maybe I'm too cautious

Interesting seat on this model as well. The PO had it all messed up to include bent handles and part of the backing plates were bent. Cleaned them up and it works much better.
That part of the seat that just slides up onto the main part of the seat is different. I see now that it more or less pops up out of the way when working correctly.

Have a set of rear directional and running lights on the way. Left one on this bike was not only broken, but the metal portion of the round outer part was bent beyond repair.

Battery tender plug installed and battery seems to be holding the charge with the tender doing its job. Once the temps get up around 40 or so I will have two bikes to test ride. This one and the Mean Streak 1600. Both need a good shakedown.

Turn signals came in yesturday, going to put them on today. Change out the rear oil and that will be it. Hope that the weather starts to warm up enough for a road test.

WI in March, probably still snow events into April. Brrr!

I think this is the H-D 120th anniversary this summer in Milwaukee. Just returned to sunny, warm south FL from Daytona Bike Week. Here's pics of a '66 Sportster at the Rat's Hole show.

Harley-Davidson Sportster 1966 Rats Hole 2023.01.pngHarley-Davidson Sportster 1966 Rats Hole 2023.02.png

This is posted on another thread, but here's a Canadian owner's VMax, 'one of everything.'

1678799566032.png

The 66 Sportster looks nice.
The owner said 'Hamster' Dave Perewitz painted the Sportster. If you're into H-D's and choppers, you probably know about the Hamsters.

My Daytona Bike Week traveling partner has a '70 Sportster he's been collecting parts for, it seems like 'forever.' Before we went to Daytona Beach, he showed me the frame, swingarm, and front end assembled and in his billiard/pool room. It had a metallic blue paint not-far from the bike pictured, and the rear fender was a dark orange/red. I told him, "all you need is a white tank, and you've got a patriotic ride!"

I am still kicking around the idea of moving down South again once I have things taken care of here in WI.

Interesting how the Vmax pic above has a reinforced swing arm? I see a chrome bar running from the axle up under the swing arm but not welded to anything?

I know that HD FXR that have build motors reinforce their swing arms. I also had a Kaw ZXR1200R that had the same. Just never seen one on a Vmax.

My project is all safety checked, lights all work, new horn and extended wiring, not too sure if I will keep it there but it is on and works. Lower left side in front of the motor guards.
Rear Dif oil was nasty, but there were not metal shards in the oil. That is all taken care of and clean. Even put the plate on it. Might get it out this week, depending on the ice.

Interesting how the Vmax pic above has a reinforced swing arm?...

I know that HD FXR that have build motors reinforce their swing arms. I also had a Kaw ZXR1200R that had the same. Just never seen one on a Vmax.
A couple for your V Max braced swinging arm collection.

Sept-12Web.jpg

Swinging-Arm_2.jpg

Thanks guys, ya the Red one looks like a show bike for sure. The time that has been put into that bike is just wow. The black one above looks to have a more true reinforced swing arm that would work.

Removed the gauge holder and flipped it over. The contacts for the temps gauge were not looking good. Removed all three screws, cleaned and filed as needed. Gauge now moves or jumps just a little when I turn the key on. I think it will work not.

Added a bit of gas and some fuel system treatment, now wait as we have rain and cold temps again for the weekend. I hope this will be the last cold snap but this is WI. We get snow and frost into April some yrs.

I saw snow in May south of Lake Ontario a couple of times. It didn't stay but it was there. I also fought a structure fire in the snow south of Fort Lauderdale, decades ago. Just a flurry, nothing accumulated & stayed on the ground.

Hang in there spring is coming!

I saw snow in May south of Lake Ontario a couple of times. It didn't stay but it was there. I also fought a structure fire in the snow south of Fort Lauderdale, decades ago. Just a flurry, nothing accumulated & stayed on the ground.

Hang in there spring is coming!

It flurried on me in Lauderdale I think in like 1983 or 84. Long ago

Latest posts

Back