Rebuilt carbs so well the bike won't run off idle.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I tore down the carbs on my '85 a couple weeks ago. New diaphragms / slides, jets, and carb boots. New air cleaner, and spark plugs.
Engine fires up instantly on choke, and will idle OK after it warms up.
Touch the throttle and it dies.
I have the carbs balanced well, and there are no air leaks between the carbs and boots. One thing I did notice was that the slides didn't pulsate when the engine is idling. It doesn't seem that they retract as quickly as I remembered them doing before, either..
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
By the way, this is the first time the carbs have been taken apart, or even removed from the engine.

Seems like the new pilot jets are the wrong size.

Note: I have had K&L pilot jets that were labeled same the Mikuni, but they were much, much richer.

A few quick thoughts,
Turn the A/F screws way in and see if there's improvement? Float levels-checked? Make sure the diaphragm needles are correctly installed, the little teet on the plastic bushing has the teet on it, make sure it's in the hole. The needles should have a little wiggle to them. Slides should move as soon as you move the throttle. I think I'd pu;; the plugs and see if there's an overly rich condition too, since they're new.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I've already warned my son that this bike is gonna run like he never experienced before.

Steve - the bike was kinda falling flat before I totally finished the job with my carb overhauling "skills".
I'm open to any shots I get from anyone here - none of them can be as bad (funny) as the ones my wife has hit me with..... LOL!

1.carb wall has 4 small holes, you didn't clean them. they provide fuel for first few degrees of opening throttle.
2.pump diaphragm doesn't work for some reason (about 1" diameter), probably hole is clogged.
You don't need to know how carbs work, but you have to find and clean every hole.
I never cleaned Vmax carbs but all carb I cleaned had small holes next to mix screw hole

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back