Rebuilt Title Bikes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regular Guy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a chance to buy a bike for the wife for a fairly good deal but it's a rebuilt title bike. The damage the bike had has been all repaired with new Yamaha parts. It'll save me about half of what a new one would cost but I just have reservations I suppose.

Thoughts?

If it has a good warranty and I had it checked out by someone other than the deal I'd consider it. I'm sure pothers would have some better input.

Doug

Hurts resale value but should be fine. Ride it and inspect everything you can. If it's a flood or fire rebuild I'd be weary. But a wreck rebuild could be a great deal.

Rebuilt plenty of "damged/totaled" vmax's and no problems at all.

It's a 2016 FZ-07, same color combo as my FZ-10. A new one after BS dealer fees, tax, tag and title would be about $8K OTD, I can get this one, even though it is used and a 2016 vs a 2017, for $4K

YlWZHXD.jpg

I like it and my wife likes the color since it looks like my FZ-10

A34iAdu.jpg

If it really was properly repaired, and you're aware that resale value will be a lot less, why not do it? One thing I'd be concerned with is if it was crashed, and either lay upside down while running, or the throttle wound up being jammed wide open. You might not know there was a problem till the motor started making expensive noises...

Look it over real good. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, find someone knowledgeable to do it for you.

I'd have no problem buying a properly repaired "totaled" bike pending the price was right. Only downside is resale.

On general principle, I don't think I would pay over half of retail for a totaled, but rebuildable title VMax. Since the VMax used bike market is only a few thousand dollars for one in decent condition, I think in my way of thinking that limits a bike to maybe a bit over $2000 for a rebuilt title. Around here, there are enough used bikes you don't need to take a chance on a rebuilt title bike, listed for a selling price of say, $4000.

Salvage title bikes come down to how much you trust the seller. If they have receipts and proof the bike was properly repaired, a test ride doesn't reveal any odd handling characteristics (tweaks to the fork or frame that may not be visibly evident), I would consider it. Of course having a salvage title means it's worth (at best) about 2/3 what an identical bike with a clean title would be worth. Makes reselling a lot harder down the road- a lot of people immediately dismiss it.

That said, I know a few people that bought salvage title bikes and got absolutely smoking deals on them from desperate sellers.

As much as I would like to get it, I think he's asking too much for it all things considered. I'll wait to see if he sells it and maybe come back with a lower offer to see if he takes it. I have the cash but that doesn't mean that I HAVE to spend it, lol.

A friend of mine had heard from a guy selling a salvage title bike that his bike was totalled and later issued salvaged because of something about four points of contact with the ground after the accident? I had never heard any such thing prior. Note, this was coming from the seller so who knows... but he said it had to do with the insurance adjuster being required to consider a bike totaled based on the fact that when you stand the bike upright and there are four points of contact with the ground including the tires. Sounded really odd, anyone ever hear anything along those lines?

To that point you never know what was the reasoning behind a bike or rig being totalled. Shoot it could have been insurance fraud and there isn't anything at all wrong with it, except the branded title.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back