Rebuilt Title?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Can someone further explain a rebuilt title? Does this mean it was a salvage bike at one point? Anything to be leery of?

Torn in half, then scotch taped back together? lol

Seriously, yes. I think that just indicates that at some point the bike in question was considered a total loss. Then major repairs must have been performed in order to get it back to hwy worthiness.

Its a mixed bag. I would definitely be looking things over closely. You don't know if it was totaled for cosmetic reasons or if something major was wrong. Worst case scenario is a bent frame. Check steering stops on the forks. Check frame down tubes around the radiator for small dents. Check around the neck for any peeling paint. Verify that the carb diaphragm covers line up with the cutouts on the scoops. Anything odd looking in these areas is a bad sign.

In PA, your vehicle is "Totaled" if it will cost more to repair than their little books says it is worth.

Some people are shocked to find their favorite ride has been totaled. Say the scoops are rashed, faux cover dented, master cylinder cracked, clutch cover and water pump cover rashed, exhaust rashed, foot peg rashed.....all this stuff is minor bolt on parts but, if the replacement parts and labor add up to more than it is worth in their book, it is totaled.

You can buy a totaled vehicle, repair it, fill out some forms, get a special inspection on it, and receive a rebuilt/reconstructed/whatever title from the state. Its pretty hard to find out the real reason why it was totaled though.

My 5.0 Explorer is on a rebuilt title. Means the vehicle was totaled by an insurance company at some point because of cost to repair, bought, rebuilt and inspected by DMV. Atleast here in Florida. My Explorer is in better shape than 90% of the ones on the road that never went through the process.

I bought a salvage Vmax, put the parts on it and got it recertified to a rebuilt title.

It needed a scoop, handlebars, a mirror, turnsignals and exhaust can on one side. The case guards I repaired and reinstalled.

$400 worth of parts to fix it. I got the bike cheap, traded it for a Busa and cash. Busa needed work. But still, I think the guy got the better end of the deal because the bike was clean. But it had a rebuilt title, so cut the value in half to start and then work lower from there.....

I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for a rebuilt titled Vmax. Not unless it was really custom and had TONS of aftermarket stuff like wheels, forks, rebuilt motor etc.

A stock Vmax with rebuilt title isn't going to be worth much more than $1500-2250 tops. I don't care how nice it is. You can but a nice Vmax for $3500-5000 all day, with a clean green title.

Its all in what you can afford.

But WORSE case you get a bike with a bent frame or something and it will never ride straight again. So its a big gamble unless you know what your looking for and looking at.

Todd

Forgot to mention this is a not a VMAX. RSV4 Tuono on ebay. I don't have a good idea of price range on these used though.

$11-12k when minty fresh. At least that's what the one at the Aprilia dealer in Austin was going for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Interesting in EUROPE.

Here some states it won't show as salvage or repaired. But it will show if you bring it to other states.

On something the Turbo I would be afraid it was wrecked hard from sport riding.

Todd

In EU when vehicle is totaled its up to YOU to either salvage or rebuilt it. None of the SALVAGED info goes to the TITLE as well.

I don't know about other places but here in PT if the authorities that access the accident believe that the damage may be putting the road worthiness in cause they CAN keep the title until you repair it and take it to an inspection center to certify its worthiness and then they'll release the title. Nothing is ever registered on the title...

Well if Im not mistaken you must not call the police anywhere in EU in a case of road accident not involving causulties. Indeed somethimes they might ask you for your title due the heavy damage to the vehicle but they will and they must give it back when you will complete your INSPECTION again. Nothing is recorded as you mentioned besides insurance companies private registry. Anyways for us euros rebuild/salvage titles are not any concern...dont ask about Switzerland becouse ist not nationality...its a state of a mind...

Latest posts

Back