Recall for oil pump on 2010 Vmax???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive heard (from a reliable source) the fix is going to be to replace the oil pump, The one with my name on it is still in the create at the dealership:bang head::bang head::bang head:, and Im hopeing the pump wont be on back order when Im ready to buy it :bang head::bang head::bang head:.

Yeah, the fix is replacing the oil pump assembly. Don't even have to dump the oil. Pump comes out of the clutch basket side.
I don't think they have found many actual issues with the pumps going bad, just one or two I think... Only takes an hour supposedly to replace.

It's good to see Yamaha is being proactive about it.

Mine is in today for pump replacement. The dealer called me yesterday to bring it in ASAP. The replacement parts are in short supply as he said he has only 3 and then they will be back ordered. Get yours in quick

Curious...

Is replacing the pump like the Gen I, can it be done by pulling the exhaust and dropping the pan, or does the Gen II even have a seconday pan like the Gen I.

Actually very easy, It comes out from behind the clutch basket. Don't even have to drop the oil. Yamaha allocated 1.5 hours to do the work.

Don't feel bad, my B-King had 2 factory recalls, one for the rectifier and one for clutch bolts that worked themselves loose. Even new bikes have problems, par for the course!!!

All yamaha had to do was stay with the same Vmax, go to fuel injection, radial tires, 6 speed gearbox, update lights and electrics and bulid a bad-ass chrome-moly frame. Pull about 200 lbs. off it and it would be a winner.
Dave

All yamaha had to do was stay with the same Vmax, go to fuel injection, radial tires, 6 speed gearbox, update lights and electrics and bulid a bad-ass chrome-moly frame. Pull about 200 lbs. off it and it would be a winner.
Dave
My thoughts too. 140 hp at the wheel maybe. And priced about $16k. Could have been possible I think, with mass production. You never know what is cooking at Yamaha. Dealer in Ma denied the Gen 2 existed till his last Gen 1 was sold...lol. Marks bike I believe.
It's not uncommon for a recall on anything new. Motorcycles or any product. It's really a good thing, that attempts to correct a defect are made.
Steve

Last edited:
Actually very easy, It comes out from behind the clutch basket. Don't even have to drop the oil. Yamaha allocated 1.5 hours to do the work.
Agreed, I performed the recall on one on saturday, it really is a simple job. Just have to make sure to line all the gears back up. I've heard of people not getting the oil pump gear lined up to the gear on the back of the basket and bad stuff happening because of it.

Dave

Isn't that what they did except for a 6 speed? You don't need a sixth gear with that much torque. Pull 200 lbs from where? Because of all the torque this motor produces, they had to make it beefy so it would be bullet-proof. I'm sure they tried like hell to reduce weight wherever possible, within reason and using too many exotic materials that would have made the bike more expensive.

I have a 2004 Max and an 09 Max. No comparison whatsoever, period. You get a chance to ride one, take it but be careful, it's nothing like the Gen I in any way.

Back