Recent Gen2 owner w/questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnc1go

Reaction score
As a newer gen2 owner, I have a couple of questions for some of the more experienced owners.

Was the 2010 recalled for oil pump issues?

When I get beyond a certain high speed, the indicated speedo number drops down by 50 or so, I have had it up to 154 mph/gps so I figure this is some sort of way to trick the ECU. Am I right? What has been done to the bike to cause this and can I change it back?

The bike is equipped with a Power Commander 500. Does this have the same effect on the bike's performance as the Nash Flash that I have read about in this forum?

Why does the front tire wear out in such a weird pattern, like the driver side seems to wear out faster than the other side does.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Ok, my bike is also equipped with Akrapovic aftermarket cans and cat eliminator pipe underneath with the stock headers which is the reason for the PW500 right? Even if I got the Nash Flash, I would still need to keep the present fuel injection settings to compensate for loss of backpressure, right? Am I understanding this correctly?

JBrett, is that your bike for an avatar? If it is, it looks as though you're also running the Akra cans, do we have the same exhaust?

The Nash Flash will be tuned specifically for your mods, as a matter of fact, that tune was done from my bike!
You will not need nor use the PC5, I still have mine but only using it for the quick shifter

Attachments

• DSC_5858-TSB-SIG.jpg
    DSC_5858-TSB-SIG.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 26
Note: The Nash Flash also will eliminate the need for any device to fool the ECU's top speed limits. The Flash does away with that limit within the ECU. You can still benefit from that device if it can be programmed simply to correct your speedo. Both the 09's in my garage, running the 240 size rear tire mod, were off right at 8% from actual speed when checked using a GPS unit.

Thanks for the info about the tire, I was talking about the front tire. Any issues there?

I only mentioned the rear tire size on our bikes because I was giving info on speedo error, and I have no idea how far off the OEM 200 width rear tire would be on the speedo.

As far front tire wear: My wife gets great mileage out of a front tire, and the wear pattern on the last one I changed out for her was even all the way across the tread, and no significant cupping on it. The tire I just took off my front was worn off evenly as well, and no cupping. Upon registering my tire c/o mileage in the journal I keep, I couldn't help but notice my recent front tire only lasted approximately 2900 miles. (Me thinks me brake too hard in the twisties and may need to tweek my technique a bit for less tire wear)

The front tire wear is typical for a VMax that's been rode hard through the twisties. It's a heavy bike. The wear is never even because of the different radius's of left and right turns.

The speed fooler you have is an old version that you won't be able go use to correct your speedometer, you can toss it after you reflash the ECU.

Mark

JfEagins, that's not much mileage for a front tire, but I'm starting to think after experience and reading what others say that this bike is plain hard on tires no matter what.

ItGoes, I would like to get rid of the fooler device and it sounds as though the flash will allow me to do that. I don't like when the speedo changes as I'd like to know how fast Im going all the time.

Yes I agree on the speed issue. What you have installed was the only thing available early on to defeat the limiter.

JfEagins, that's not much mileage for a front tire, but I'm starting to think after experience and reading what others say that this bike is plain hard on tires no matter what.

ItGoes, I would like to get rid of the fooler device and it sounds as though the flash will allow me to do that. I don't like when the speedo changes as I'd like to know how fast Im going all the time.

I get around 2K miles out of each back tire as well. Mileage reported by others varies greatly, but considering I seldom simply sit there doing a burnout, I'd say I must be amongst the most grueling of throttlers around here, in that I can't seem to move the bike without always feeling it's incredible acceleration - constantly twisting for more.

Now that Mark mentions it, I do recall reading a thread over on the Gen II board, way way back, in which someone had discussed trying to build an electronic unit that would not alter any speed shown on the speedo, unless or until a certain speed was attained first, so that people wouldn't have to install the HealTech device and constantly see 1/2 the actual speed. I didn't realize any had ever been built and installed on a bike though.

The Flash will eliminate the need for the anti-speed limiter device you have, but it will not correct any slight OEM speedo error the bike had when manufactured.

As far as true speed goes, check your bike with a GPS unit after you get the ECU flashed, and see if the OEM speedo is reading accurately enough to suit your needs. Me - I didn't like the bike registering 8% more speed (and miles) than I was actually traveling, and so, use a healer to correct the speedo down to under 1mph error.

My 09 came with the Healtech Electronics brand already installed. http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

On my wife's 09, and also on both our Honda Runes (off 5% from the factory), I have installed 12oclocklabs brand healers. http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59
They are a bit smaller, and usually around $20 cheaper than the HealTech healers.

Your wife rides a Gen2, that's cool. I can barely get my wife to ride a 50cc scooter.
His wife :worthy::worthy::worthy:rides a Gen II better then most guys I know with them ! (except for burnouts)

in that I can't seem to move the bike without always feeling it's incredible acceleration - constantly twisting for more.

LOL! That's exactly what this bike will do to you!

Now that Mark mentions it, I do recall reading a thread over on the Gen II board, way way back, in which someone had discussed trying to build an electronic unit that would not alter any speed shown on the speedo, unless or until a certain speed was attained first, so that people wouldn't have to install the HealTech device and constantly see 1/2 the actual speed. I didn't realize any had ever been built and installed on a bike though.

That's exactly right Jim, Oliver the founder/owner of the Star site made a bunch of little chips that a lot of people installed. Going by John's description it sounds like what he's got. At approx. 120 MPH the input signal to the ECU get halved, fooling the limiter and causing the speedo to read 1/2 speed. I once saw 87 MPH when I had that installed!

The Flash will eliminate the need for the anti-speed limiter device you have, but it will not correct any slight OEM speedo error the bike had when manufactured.

As far as true speed goes, check your bike with a GPS unit after you get the ECU flashed, and see if the OEM speedo is reading accurately enough to suit your needs. Me - I didn't like the bike registering 8% more speed (and miles) than I was actually traveling, and so, use a healer to correct the speedo down to under 1mph error.
My 09 came with the Healtech Electronics brand already installed. http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Yes a great mod to make and the good thing is that it will wire in the same way the speed fooler chip does. :eusa_dance:

Not only does Shala ride a gen II, she wanted, and acquired hers, before I got mine. I was a diehard 1985 owner (still have it), and only got hooked by the need to custom tune & butt dyno the 09 she bought. Its previous owner had installed the BigAir kit, Marks Xpipe, custom pipes, and also a Powercommander V, but seemingly never tuned it anywhere close to correct. I self taught myself (quickly) on PCV software & afr ratios etc with a bunch of help from the good people over on the gen II forum. All those test rides up and down the hwy got me hooked. A year later I broke down and got my 09.

Your wife rides a Gen2, that's cool. I can barely get my wife to ride a 50cc scooter.
Last year at Thunder we were riding back from Jim's on 31 I ended up behind her thinking I would try to go around her after some turns on a log downhill straight section. Well, we hit the straight section I hit Redbone hard but Shala just took off! She was leaving me fast and when she passed a car before the bottom of the hill that I couldn't (safely) and she was gone! Even though I thought I was pushing pretty good I didn't see her again until we got nearer town. Granted I ride a G1, but yeah, she can ride that durn G2 fast!:punk:

Last spring, after getting 'jumped' by her at a stop light for like the 4th or 5th time, I talked her into taking the bikes to our local dragstrip. 1st pass she misread the tree and deep staged for a red light, but still managed to spook herself a bit. She returned to the pits and trailered up and was done for the evening. I figured we'd prolly never do that again, but low & behold, a few weeks later, there we were with the bikes at the annual all bike drags in Wichita alongside Sean Morley having a great time. That day, she made another 5 or 6 passes, and with Sean's help, and others, she gained a lot of knowlege and some confidence. We are looking to participating in that event again this year.

I'd love to schedule some parking lot time to set out some cones and practice slow speed stuff with her. I know I could use the practice too, but there never seems to be enough time.

That's exactly right Jim, Oliver the founder/owner of the Star site made a bunch of little chips that a lot of people installed. Going by John's description it sounds like what he's got. At approx. 120 MPH the input signal to the ECU get halved, fooling the limiter and causing the speedo to read 1/2 speed. I once saw 87 MPH when I had that installed!

Yes a great mod to make and the good thing is that it will wire in the same way the speed fooler chip does.

That's the answer I'm looking for.

I read a ton of material yesterday about the Nash Flash, and I have decided to get it done to my ECU. Having said that, I need to locate and remove the speedo fooler device, do you or anyone else know where it is and how to remove it? I can follow directions, but I am not sure I know what I'm looking for or where it is since I didn't install it.

Latest posts

Back