Recognize this ECU?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExactChange

Reaction score
Hi guys! So I bought my 2009 VMax last year used. It was 100% stock. Or so I thought. Went in to put a PCV when I put the pipes on and noticed it has this ECU. I never looked into it much and sold the bike a couple months later. Just bought it back. I posted this pic on the vmax fb page and someone was really certain it’s an actual Yamaha derestricted ECU but unfortunately I can’t find any info on exactly what you get with that ECU! Anyone know ?

Attachments

• 846A8A7A-B1ED-4D24-A546-BB542795EA5D.jpeg
    846A8A7A-B1ED-4D24-A546-BB542795EA5D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 2010D71A-DAEA-49A9-AC9F-592243C8BDFB.jpeg
    2010D71A-DAEA-49A9-AC9F-592243C8BDFB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hi guys! So I bought my 2009 VMax last year used. It was 100% stock. Or so I thought. Went in to put a PCV when I put the pipes on and noticed it has this ECU. I never looked into it much and sold the bike a couple months later. Just bought it back. I posted this pic on the vmax fb page and someone was really certain it’s an actual Yamaha derestricted ECU but unfortunately I can’t find any info on exactly what you get with that ECU! Anyone know ?
That is neat. Be interesting to hear the back story of that machine.

I can confirm that's the racing ECU. Removes the rpm (and perhaps other) restrictions.

I had one installed on my 2009 before I sold it. I didn't really notice anything different. Mine was one of the lucky ones that had the engine destroyed in the oil pump recall. I got a new engine from it. I messaged with the guy that bought the old engine to rebuild and he asked what tune I was running because the "cylinders looked like sh!t." This could have been caused by running several miles without oil, or it could have been from the tune in the ECU, but I suspect the racing tune ran richer.

I can confirm that's the racing ECU. Removes the rpm (and perhaps other) restrictions.

I had one installed on my 2009 before I sold it. I didn't really notice anything different. Mine was one of the lucky ones that had the engine destroyed in the oil pump recall. I got a new engine from it. I messaged with the guy that bought the old engine to rebuild and he asked what tune I was running because the "cylinders looked like sh!t." This could have been caused by running several miles without oil, or it could have been from the tune in the ECU, but I suspect the racing tune ran richer.
Running richer wouldn't surprise me. Don't know if it was as much an issue in '09 but manufacturers (HD at least) release models to public running extra lean. Evidently to better conform to strict emission requirements.

C'mon Lunatic. Should "Yamaha racing ECU" and "nothing special" ever be used together in a sentence?
In this case...yes. I think it's been documented that the 'Yamaha Race ECU' is far less de-restricted than a flash you'd get from Tim Nash.

In that case... glad to hear. As Tim has had my ECU in his capable hands a couple of
In this case...yes. I think it's been documented that the 'Yamaha Race ECU' is far less de-restricted than a flash you'd get from Tim Nash.
yeah that’s really what I was looking for. The Moor Mafia dude said he had never heard of a Yamaha race ECU. I wouldn’t mind getting an ECU flash but I couldn’t find any info on what this ECU actually does didn’t want to spend money just to have the only difference between my ECU and a flashed one be the sticker LOL

That is neat. Be interesting to hear the back story of that machine.
Eh nothing really worth knowing. Bought it late April 2021… did a few little things to it. Sold it I think in august….bought 10-15 bikes in between… few weeks ago decided to sell my can-am spyder to buy another vmax and the only one for sale was this one. Same guy. Ended up trading him my spyder for it and here we are. He didn’t even put a 100 miles on it.

I can actually read what's in the flash if it's not been locked. Be interesting to see what they did to the flash from a stock one.

Back