Recorded Stator clutch failing sound? Help to recognise.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putin

Reaction score
View attachment 20220628_092020.mp4
Randomly have difficulties starting bike. Starts after a few attempts. Tryed reproduce it, but bike starts without problem. I disconnect fuel pump and that whats happening. I am thinking about changing clutch, but need more opinion what is this. Battery new Odissey, voltage good. 30000 miles 2007 Vmax.

Last edited:
The sound is commonly described as a 'tin-can full of rocks, being shaken.' Clackety-clack...

I suggest contacting Sean Morley [email protected] for his upgraded starter clutch components. If you roll the dice on ebay or elsewhere online, you may buy a poorly-engineered, non-functional starter clutch which was made improperly and which will never work. There has been a recent thread on this if you use the 'search' function.

You can also see Sean's kit using the 'search' function. (111) Starter kicking out | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net) 'Search' and 'advanced search' are your friends.

VMax heavy-duty Starter Clutch Flywheel Sean Morley.jpg

Not cheap, but solve your issue permanently.

I guess that is common for Vmaxes. So sad. I will buy either just bolts or clutch from Partzilla. I don't trust bike anymore and don't think it will last for extra 20-30 000 miles. Will fix it and sell.

It will last as long as you take care of it its frustrating when things break but you'll have that with any bike you buy. it is 15yrs old id say thats pretty damn good it made it that long especially when it's used everytime the bikes started. Just my opinion but it's not sad that it's a vmax thing you'll have every bike manufacturer that has its problems. Good luck with the sale someone will love to have it.

Last edited:
And like my buddy medic said you can take the cheap way out like it sounds like your gonna do but your just putting a band aid on it and then your right it won't last another 20 or 30,000 miles. Sometimes you gotta buy the good stuff if you want a reliable machine cause no matter the make or model none of them last forever and if they do you got damn lucky.

Maybe the shaking plate creates a noise, not the bolts. Will try to use aftermarket 6 points clutch, but really need to be correct holding bolts.

Back