Rehab a 1st gen corbin or buy a lightly used original seat ???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNN SUCKS DONKEY

Reaction score
97 Vmax 24k : the bike came with and still has a used up 1st gen Corbin seat. Well the seats had it the cushion and skin is worn with some tears. So Ive decided to either rebuild or replace with a original Vmax seat via ebay. Im 270lb and when i see the original vmax seats i think great for a 170 maybe a 200lb guy.... But since ive never seen one in person i dont know if their comfy for at least 2 hours worth of riding or if i should leave it alone and reskin my Corbin with new cushion. Anyone had both and can compare comfort. Suport wise it looks as if the oem has it in spades. Price wise i can have it redone cusion and heavy vinyl for around 270$ vs around 240$ for an oem in exellent cond as per pictures. Any advice is apreciated.

I would get the corbin redone. I only know of 1 person that has ever found the stock seat comfortable.

I didn't mind the stocker, but I use a Corbin. I vote to refurbish the Corbin. A stock seat costs that much? I would have thought much less.

i bought a Corbin back around 1990. I had it redone at a upholstery shop nearby. He deleted the flap, and redid all the worn parts with a good heavy vinyl. I believe the bill was under $100.00. I have to remove the seat to refuel, but I don't bolt the seat down, so it just lifts off.. Its getting on time to redo the seat again, probably next year, but you can bet it will be re-covered, rather than replaced.

97 Vmax 24k : the bike came with and still has a used up 1st gen Corbin seat. Well the seats had it the cushion and skin is worn with some tears. So Ive decided to either rebuild or replace with a original Vmax seat via ebay. Im 270lb and when i see the original vmax seats i think great for a 170 maybe a 200lb guy.... But since ive never seen one in person i dont know if their comfy for at least 2 hours worth of riding or if i should leave it alone and reskin my Corbin with new cushion. Anyone had both and can compare comfort. Suport wise it looks as if the oem has it in spades. Price wise i can have it redone cusion and heavy vinyl for around 270$ vs around 240$ for an oem in exellent cond as per pictures. Any advice is apreciated.

I've never liked the look of the Corbin seat, however I never sat on one. If it is more comfortable than the stock seat which we all know what that does to us after an hour or two of riding so I defer to those who have sat on a Corbin seat.

Isn't there a little patch that is held on by Velco and once you open that the gas cap is accessible?

I've never had a stock seat. The one I bought had a corbin on it... so no idea how it actually feels.

The only thing I hate is not being able to get fuel in the bike, and having to lift up the seat to actually get it to work.

I've never had a stock seat. The one I bought had a corbin on it... so no idea how it actually feels.

The only thing I hate is not being able to get fuel in the bike, and having to lift up the seat to actually get it to work.

That is strange I always thought there was a cover you just lifted to gas up your Vmax with a Corbin seat but everyone who owns or owned one says they have to lift the seat,that's not good !

Trust me the stock seat is tough on the crotch, after an hour or two my whole crotch would get numb but I put up with it to ride the beast of a Vmax.

I saw someone cut out a big square in the Vmax seat foam and they put a gel pack in that space. I wonder if that helped?

That is strange I always thought there was a cover you just lifted to gas up your Vmax with a Corbin seat but everyone who owns or owned one says they have to lift the seat,that's not good !

Trust me the stock seat is tough on the crotch, after an hour or two my whole crotch would get numb but I put up with it to ride the beast of a Vmax.

I saw someone cut out a big square in the Vmax seat foam and they put a gel pack in that space. I wonder if that helped?

Yeah... the issue it is so tight in the flap that you can hardly get the fuel cap off.

Thanks for the feedback guys very apreciated. Indeed it has a 3"sq opening for fueling at your backside its a completely useless design i just lift the whole seat off, not an issue for me. Ive been told the newer Corbins are easier to fuel. Looks like ill be having it redone black with some red or grey stitching and covering the micro fuel door.

Early Corbins had a flap of upholstery where the gas filler is, later ones have an upholstered plug which comes out to provide a bit better access to the filler neck.

As much as I dislike Corbin I would +1 to having it reupholstered. Some of the stockier guys like Corbins and many of without much contact patch cant get rid of them quick enough. Doesnt Rick the Maxgasser guy have an overhaul kit for the Corbins?

You didn't say how tall you are , that's important with a Corbrick .
And yes , I can modifiy and recover a Corbick seat.

Here's the Muscle version we offer.

Attachments

• 18010202_10209791537525160_7890680119044406209_n.jpg
    18010202_10209791537525160_7890680119044406209_n.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 18010534_10209791538765191_8661200277344417683_n.jpg
    18010534_10209791538765191_8661200277344417683_n.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 18034178_10209791537805167_2243642205679018380_n.jpg
    18034178_10209791537805167_2243642205679018380_n.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 14
Over the years, I have owned the stocker, reshaped stocker, Corbin, reshaped Corbin and Maxgasser.

I'm 5ft 10in, 190lb rider and, for me, the Maxgrasser works best.

There are pluses & minus for each, but the worst one was the stocker and best one is the Maxgrasser. The reshaped Corbin was also very comfortable, but it didn't suit the overall look that I wanted.

There is no perfect seat for all, but there is a perfect seat for you. It's great if you can try the different seats to find which one is best for you.

Mike

Over the years, I have owned the stocker, reshaped stocker, Corbin, reshaped Corbin and Maxgasser.

I'm 5ft 10in, 190lb rider and, for me, the Maxgrasser works best.

There are pluses & minus for each, but the worst one was the stocker and best one is the Maxgrasser. The reshaped Corbin was also very comfortable, but it didn't suit the overall look that I wanted.

There is no perfect seat for all, but there is a perfect seat for you. It's great if you can try the different seats to find which one is best for you.

Mike

The Maxgasser was the ticket for me also, going to that from the Corbin was night and day in every regard.

The Maxgasser was the ticket for me also, going to that from the Corbin was night and day in every regard.

I like the look of the maxgasser better than my old corbin with the flap.

If people are saying they're comfortable then maybe I'll go with one of those rather than dicking around with my corbin forever.

I like the look of the maxgasser better than my old corbin with the flap.

If people are saying they're comfortable then maybe I'll go with one of those rather than dicking around with my corbin forever.

UNFORTUNATELY.........the maxgasser isnt being made anymore. You will have to find one used, IF someone is willing to part with one.

UNFORTUNATELY.........the maxgasser isnt being made anymore. You will have to find one used, IF someone is willing to part with one.

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I REALLY HATE THE FREAKING FUEL SITUATION WITH THE CORBIN. Seriously.. my biggest pet-peeve with the bike. I love everything else.. hate having to refuel.

However.. how are the newer corbin seats? Someone mentioned they're much better in terms of getting that fuel cap off and using actually refueling?

Back