Relay?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, working on vmax charging system and have new regulator -rectifier along with the stator... Cleaned and crimped all connections. Rechecked everything and max charge is 13.4v. also when key is off you hear something but sounds perhaps like a relay? While bike is running the rectifier wires get hot and I mean hot!
Along with that my rectifier is testing at the same as battery. Should there be power to rectifier when ignition is off? Any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated 👍

Boy, that doesn't sound right! It sounds like you should NOT leave your battery connected when the engine is off! I am not aware of any parasitic draw when the ignition is off. That could be the case if you have some added accessory which uses a small current amount (a parasitic draw) when the engine is off. Did you recently swap out a wire harness too? Are you sure that you wired the R/R properly? What brand is it?

AFAIK, since the engine is not operating, there is no AC current (what the AC generator/stator produces and sends to the R/R, where it's reduced in voltage and converted to DC current) to the R/R. The output wire to the + battery terminal from the R/R should indicate power is on it, if you also hook-up a ground wire to the frame or other bare-metal surface on the bike. Think about it: if you hook a wire to the battery + and a ground spring clip to the chassis/engine bare metal, when you read the other end of the connected + wire, yes, you should have power at the end not connected to the battery. Just like jumper cables. Disconnect the R/R red lead, the + wire, from the battery, and try reading for any current on the red wire, there should be none.

Anyone who has a different view, please contribute.

Last edited:
Boy, that doesn't sound right! It sounds like you should NOT leave your battery connected when the engine is off! I am not aware of any parasitic draw when the ignition is off. That could be the case if you have some added accessory which uses a small current amount (a parasitic draw). Did you recently swap out a wire harness too? Are you sure that you wired the R/R properly? What brand is it?

AFAIK, since the engine is not operating, there is no AC current (what the AC generator/stator produces and sends to the R/R, where it's reduced in voltage and converted to DC current) to the R/R. The output wire to the + battery terminal from the R/R should indicate power is on it, if you also hook-up a ground wire to the frame or other bare-metal surface on the bike. Think about it: if you hook a wire to the battery + and a ground spring clip to the chassis/engine bare metal, when you read the other end of the connected + wire, yes, you should have power at the end not connected to the battery. Just like

also when key is off you hear something but sounds perhaps like a relay?
When ignition is turned on, you will hear the vboost going through its initialisation cycle - there is a motor that opens and closes the vboost valve. It lasts for about 2-3 seconds.

You may also hear the fuel pump running, sounds like a click but it should stop once the carbs are full so repeated on-off ignition sequence you may hear it click once or twice at most.

When the ignition is off, there is not noise.

Do you have any after market parts fitted?

Nope, no aftermarket parts...except for cops... When the bike is off just sitting there you can hear it make noises. I'm not sure if it is a relay or something related to the fuel or some type of ventilation. I have no idea but it sounds like it's almost coming from the battery.. when you charge your battery and it gets fully charged you can hear the bubble and that's almost what this sounds like. If I can snap a video of it I will post it hopefully you'll be able to hear it

I contacted Rick's where I bought it from... He said sounds like stator... I'm pulling 20v from each terminal a-c from stator plug. Supposed to or should be around 40.. but even when I bought the bike last Summer the battery or whatever it was was making noise... .. but either way my battery tests good even under load but I am ordering a new AGM Odyssey battery from what everybody is saying... Hopefully that's all it is and the problem or issue will be solved but in the meantime I want to thank you and fire medic for your guys's professional advice and expertise thank you much!

Latest posts

Back