Reluctant Starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oediehl

Reaction score
Is the Gen 2 VMAX known for being a little hard to start? On mine ('09, 15K) I installed Delkevic pipes (decatted), a K&N air filter, and had the ECU reflashed by Gurued Gear (he suggested the Holeshot map). As I recall, the bike was a reluctant starter even before those changes. I basically push the starter button for a couple of seconds, then have to try one or two more times before it starts. This is only an issue when the engine is cold.

Normal for a Gen 2. With my 2 VMax's I found that if I just keep button pressed the first time it will start, it just takes longer than typical for a bike.

It's a big engine and has a compression release on 1 cylinder that allows the starter to spin it better. Perhaps that 1 cylinder not firing increases the start time a bit?

Is the Gen 2 VMAX known for being a little hard to start? On mine ('09, 15K) I installed Delkevic pipes (decatted), a K&N air filter, and had the ECU reflashed by Gurued Gear (he suggested the Holeshot map). As I recall, the bike was a reluctant starter even before those changes. I basically push the starter button for a couple of seconds, then have to try one or two more times before it starts. This is only an issue when the engine is cold.
I have a 2015 with the the exact same mods and about 1500 miles. I have had the same experience as you after the flash, it took awhile to start before but now seems to take a spin or 2 longer of the starter to fire up when cold. Once it's warm it's no issue at all. I was contemplating contacting Mr. Nash about it but sounds like that is just normal since yours is exactly the same. It does run much better at part throttle and on deceleration.

The only problem I have with the throttle after the reflash is a slight hesitation (not the old dip from a stop) when I throttle up from steady speed

Yea I didn't really notice that on mine. What's your opinion on more power from the flash? Not sure I see a dramatic difference if much at all, was hoping for too much maybe.

Not sure about comparative power curves. The beast already had all the power I wanted, I was just looking for it to be more usable, especially taking off from a stop and cruise throttle. The former was definitely improved, not so sure about the latter

I run the Delkevic 8 inch round Carbon Fiber exhaust with no baffles per Tim Nash. As he doesn't have a flash for the Delkevic pipes (at least he didn't last year) he also flashed mine to Dale Walker's Holeshot 4 into 2 program. Tim was emphatic that he could only "Get it close" and to get the most I'd have to install a Power Commander V which made a big difference. As it was, the bike was running too lean. Mine starts the same way. Sometimes it takes four seconds to light off when it's cold. With the reflash I noticed a big difference, particularly with the factory hesitation gone right off the line. Noticed the difference 75 feet from my driveway. When I was finished with all the mods, I dyno'd 197.

I run the Delkevic 8 inch round Carbon Fiber exhaust with no baffles per Tim Nash. As he doesn't have a flash for the Delkevic pipes (at least he didn't last year) he also flashed mine to Dale Walker's Holeshot 4 into 2 program. Tim was emphatic that he could only "Get it close" and to get the most I'd have to install a Power Commander V which made a big difference. As it was, the bike was running too lean. Mine starts the same way. Sometimes it takes four seconds to light off when it's cold. With the reflash I noticed a big difference, particularly with the factory hesitation gone right off the line. Noticed the difference 75 feet from my driveway. When I was finished with all the mods, I dyno'd 197.
Did you do the power commander yourself or does a shop do it and dyno tune it for you? What was the total cost?

Latest posts

Back