Remove wheels/tires or take it to a shop?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmic665

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't do too much maintenance on my 2nd gen, but I used to do most of the maintenance on my first gen bikes (except for valve adjustments). I need to get new tires, and I've never taken tires off of the 2nd gen bike. I can recall the process is very easy on the first gen bike. It would literally take about 10 mins to remove the back tire. I never had to remove the front tire, but I watch a friend of mine do it and it took about 10 mins as well. Is there a video out there that shows how to do this on the 2nd gen bikes? Is removing the back tire just as fast as on a 2nd gen as it was on a first gen? Looking at the pdf it looks like a couple bolts to remove the break caliber, then remove the axle? Is there anything I can screw up? I have a Venom Front & Rear Motorcycle stand. Do I need to use the steering lift on the front?

Thanks,
-Kareem

No Gen II here, but I usually use a small hydraulic floor jack to elevate the front of the bike off the ground, with the bikerocking onto the rear wheel w/the centerstand. I use a stand or cribbing (wood blocks) to stabilize the bike, to remove the front wheel. I suspect that you'll need to remove a caliper.

No Gen II here, but I usually use a small hydraulic floor jack to elevate the front of the bike off the ground, with the bikerocking onto the rear wheel w/the centerstand. I use a stand or cribbing (wood blocks) to stabilize the bike, to remove the front wheel. I suspect that you'll need to remove a caliper.

I know the motorcycle stand I have should take care of the back wheel. I'm not sure if I need to use the steering head stand on the front or of I could elevate it with just a fork stand. I'll have to see. I'm more concerned about taking the wheel off and messing something up in the process more so than anything else. Is it really worth it to me to save $170 doing it myself or have a shop deal with it? That is the question.

Thanks,
-Kareem

You might wanna check this manual (and download it to your computer):
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/936686/Yamaha-Vmax-Vmx17c-2009.html

Yeah I have the manual already, and I've read through the procedures. See I'm the type of guy who get's every manual available in order to get a complete understanding of how to take apart something before I do it. I can recall on my V65 magna I had a Haynes, Clymer & Factory service manual for performing maintenance. The funny thing is all 3 manuals had different methods of performing the same tasks!

Thanks,
-Kareem

Well I found I nice video on how to remove the rear tire:

It looks just as easy as the gen1. Now I need to find a video on how to remove the front tire.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back